Faculty Profile for Dr. Rick Wilson
Biography and EducationDr. Wilson is a Professor of Marketing where he teaches Promotional Strategy and the American Advertising Federation’s (AAF) National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC) course. He received his B.S. in Business Administration and Advertising from the University of Akron in Ohio, an M.B.A. in Business Administration from Washington University in St. Louis, and a Ph.D. in Marketing and International Business from Saint Louis University.
Before becoming a professor, Dr. Wilson worked in the fields of marketing and international business for 12 years as a senior product manager for AT&T, Vodafone Group, and TelePacific Communications. While working for Vodafone, Dr. Wilson helped to establish a new wireless venture in Hungary and spent one year working in Budapest.
Dr. Wilson's research interests include out-of-home advertising, place branding, investment promotion, and creativity in advertising. His research has been published in journals such as the Journal of Advertising, Journal of Advertising Research, International Journal of Advertising, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Business Research, and Journal of Place Management and Development.
Teaching InterestsMarketing & Advertising Strategy
Research InterestsOut-of-Home (outdoor) Advertising, Place Branding, FDI Promotion, Creativity
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Suh, T., Wilson, R. T., & On, S. T. (2021). Gender Differences in Visual Attention to Digital Content of Place-Based Advertising: A Data-Driven Scientific Approach. Electronic Commerce Research. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1007/s10660-021-09494-9
- Wilson, R. T. (2023). Out-of-Home Advertising: A Systematic Review and Research Agenda. Journal of Advertising, 52(2), 279–299. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.2022.2064378
- Wilson, R. T., & Baack, D. W. (2023). How the Credibility of Places Affects the Processing of Advertising Claims: A Test of the B2B Communication Effects Model. Journal of Business Research, 168(11), 1–13. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2023.114238
- Wilson, R. T. (n.d.). Out-of-Home Advertising: A Bibliometric Review. International Journal of Advertising. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/02650487.2023.2186013
- Wilson, R. T., Bright, L. F., & Richards, A. S. (2022). Privacy and Biometric Data: An Exploration of Advertising Appeals and Consumer Willingness to Share Personal Information Online. American Academy of Advertising Annual Conference.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Indeed: First Place (District 10) and Second Place (National), American Advertising Federation’s National Student Advertising Competition. 2022 - 2023
- Award / Honor Recipient: Professor of the Month, Texas State University Interfraternity Council. November 2023
- Award / Honor Recipient: Advisor of the Year, Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, Texas State University, Dean of Students Office, Fraternity and Sorority Life. 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: McCoy College of Business Achievement Award for Teaching, McCoy College of Business Administration. 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Meta Quest: First Place (District 10), American Advertising Federation’s National Student Advertising Competition. 2021 - 2022
- Wilson, Rick (Co-Principal), Zank, Gail (Co-Principal). Using Eye Tracking Technology to Understand the Consumer Processing of Product Claims in Product Consideration Context.”, McCoy Faculty Development Fund, Texas State University, $4350. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T. (Principal). The DNA of Consumer Collaboration: How Advertising Appeals Influence Consumer Willingness to Share Personal Information Online, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: January 2020 - May 2021). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T (Principal). The Effects of Credibility on the Processing of Advertising Claims within FDI Advertising, McCoy College of Business Research Grant Program, Texas State University, $2500. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T. (Co-Principal), Suh, Taewon (Co-Principal). Technology and Advertising: Improving Media Planning and Audience Measurement, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $15980. (Submitted: September 2014, Funded: December 2014 - November 2015). Grant.
- Wilson, Rick T (Co-Principal), Lustick, David (Principal), Lohmeier, Jill (Co-Principal), Chen, Robert F (Co-Principal), Rabkin, David (Co-Principal). Science Express: Learning the Science of Climate Change while Commuting, National Science Foundation, Federal, $2160758. (Submitted: 2011, Funded: 2012 - 2015). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Advertising
Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
Editorial Review Board Member
International Journal of Advertising
Board of Chapter Advisors, Phi Gamma Delta
University Marketing Advisory Board