Faculty Profile for Dr. Patrick Smith
Dr. Patrick Smith
Professor — Curriculum And Instruction
phone: (512) 245-1604
Biography and EducationPatrick H. Smith is Professor of Bilingual/Biliteracy Education and ESL at Texas State University, where he coordinates the undergraduate and graduate programs in Bilingual Education.
Professor Smith's research focuses on the literacies of Mexican-origin, (im)migrant, and Spanish/English emergent bilingual learners. His work has appeared in journals in the U.S. and Latin America, including Reading Research Quarterly, International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, Southwest Journal of Linguistics, The Reading Teacher, Journal of Adult and Adolescent Literacy, Bilingual Research Journal, Lectura y Vida, and Estudios de Lingüística Aplicada.
Professor Smith is the co-author (with Christopher J. Hall and Rachel Wicaksono) of Mapping Applied Linguistics: A Guide for Students and Practitioners (Routledge/Taylor & Francis, 2017). http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415559133/
Teaching InterestsProfessor Smith teaches courses in educational linguistics, second language literacy, bilingual education foundations, and Bilingual/ESL methods. His doctoral courses address topics in Biliteracy/Multilingual Literacies; Biliteracy and Human Capital; and Introduction to Language.
Research InterestsProfessor Smith's research focuses on language and literacy learning and education in multilingual schools and communities. Drawing on linguistics, history, anthropology, sociology, and language planning, his work has contributed to scholarly knowledge and practical applications in the areas of (1) dual language or two-way immersion education; (2) school and community literacies in Central Mexico; (3) Mesoamerican indigenous literacies and contemporary literacies in Mexico; (4) transnational and immigrant literacies in the U.S.; and (5) the language and literacy practices of Texas border colonia communities.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Smith, P. H. (2022). “Struggling” learners: Reflections on reclaiming a good word gone bad. Language Arts, 100(2), 144–148. Retrieved from https://library.ncte.org/journals/la/issues/v100-2
- Smith, P. H., & Murillo Benjumea, L. A. (2021). Funds of linguistic knowledge en prácticas transnacionales to promote biliteracy development. In Bilingualism and Bilingual Education: Conceptos Fundamentales (pp. 51–61). NY, USA: Peter Lang.
- Smith, P. H., & Thompson, B. (2021). Building A Dual Language School Library. Teacher Librarian: The Journal for School Library Professionals, 48. Retrieved from http://www.teacherlibrarian.com/
- Kiramba, L. K., & Smith, P. H. (2019). “Her Sentence Is Correct, Isn’t It?”: Regulative Discourse in English Medium Classrooms. Teaching and Teacher Education, 85, 105–114. https://doi.org/DOI: 10.1016/j.tate.2019.06.011
- Smith, P. H. (2019). Digital literacies and the construction of the language barrier. In Proceedings of the 2018 Annual Conference of the British Association for Applied Linguistics, “Taking Risks in Applied Linguistics” (Vol. 2019, pp. 95–97). York, Yorkshire, United Kingdom: British Association for Applied Linguistics. Retrieved from https://custom.cvent.com/01664CE00C344F7BA62E39C4CFE91FA8/files/ed9aa7356b5949909dda1e4b29112059.pdf
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honorary Professor International Studies, Center for International Studies, Texas State University. November 13, 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Hardie Conference Travel Award, College of Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: List of Instructors Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2014 - 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Scholars Travel Award, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Joyce Morris Article Award, History of Reading Special Interest Group, International Reading Association. 2010
- Smith, Patrick Henry (Principal). Transnacionalismo, bilingüismo y educación: Puebla y Nueva York, Instituto de Investigación y Posgrado, Universidad de las Américas, Puebla, $2000. (Funded: 2002). Grant.
- Smith, Patrick Henry (Other), Austin, Diane (Principal). Environmental justice through pollution prevention, Environmental Protection Agency; City of Nogales, Arizona; and the Bureau of Applied Research in Anthropology, University of Arizona, $5000. (Funded: 1997). Grant.
- Smith, Patrick Henry (Co-Principal), Murillo, Luz A (Principal). Connecting Families and Schools Through Reading and Math: A Two-Way Funds of Knowledge Project in a Texas Border Colonia, University of Texas Pan American, Summer Research Initiative, $8000. (Funded: 1925). Grant.
- Smith, Patrick Henry (Co-Principal), Pérez, Victor H (Principal), Trent, William (Co-Principal), Murillo, Luz A (Co-Principal). Serving Emerging Bilingual Elementary Students in a Small Urban Community: An Evaluation of a Literacy-Based After-School Program, American Educational Research Association, $5000. (Funded: 2015 - 2016). Grant.
- Smith, Patrick Henry (Principal), Murillo, Luz A (Co-Principal). Documenting diversity in local schools: Transforming field experience into professional knowledge, Center for Civic Engagement, University of Texas at Brownsville, $650. (Funded: 2006 - 2007). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Bilingual/Bicultural Education graduate programs (3)
September 1, 2021-Present
Faculty Search, Assistant/Associate Professor of Bilingual/Biliteracy Education
COE Faculty Advisory Committee
College Review Group
September 20, 2020-Present
Reviewer / Referee
Linguistics and Education
February 1, 2020-Present