Faculty Profile for Dr. Deb Balzhiser
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Balzhiser, D. A., Pimentel, C. N., & Scott, A. E. (2019). “Matters of Form: Questions of Race, Identity, Design, and the U.S. Census Bureau.” Technical Communication Quarterly, 28(1), 3–20. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/10572252.2018.1539192
- Balzhiser, D. A., Sawyer, P. R., Smith, J. A., & Womack-Smith, S. (2015). Participatory Design Research for Curriculum Development of Graduate Programs for Workplace Professionals. Programmatic Perspectives, 7(2), 80–133. Retrieved from http://www.cptsc.org/pp/
- Mogull, S. A., & Balzhiser, D. A. (2015). Pharmaceutical Companies Writing the Script for Health Consumerism. Communication Design Quarterly, 35–49.
- Vie, S., Balzhiser, D. A., & Fitzgerald, D. R. (2014). Community Guides: Disrupting Oppression in Comment Threads on Social Sites. Technoculture, 4.
- Pimentel, C. N., & Balzhiser, D. A. (2012). Whites’ Panic: The Double Occupancy of Hispanics in the U.S. Census Questions. Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 26(3), 311–339.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching, College of Liberal Arts. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award in Teaching, Texas State University Faculty Awards Program. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award in Service, College of Liberal Arts. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Finalist: Kairos Best Webtext., Computers & Writing Conference. 2012
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Service, Dedication, and Mentorship, Department of Housing and Residential Life. 2006 - 2009
- Balzhiser, Deborah Ann, Hendricks, Illona (Principal). Proposal requesting student computing resources, Student Service Fees, Texas State University. (Funded: 2009). Grant.
- Larson, Robert D (Principal), Stephenson, Ronald (Co-Principal), Balzhiser, Deborah Ann, Pantuso, Matthew. Put Texas in Your Corner: TXDOT Parking Lot Survey 2006 Report, Government Partnership Program with Texas Department of Public Safety, State. (Funded: 2007). Grant.
- Balzhiser, Deborah Ann. Clemson Advancement Foundation Website, $2500. (Funded: 2004). Grant.
- Balzhiser, Deborah Ann. Restoration Institute Website, $3500. (Funded: 2004). Grant.
- Balzhiser, Deborah Ann. Tour Pickens County Chamber of Commerce Website, $2500. (Funded: 2004). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Hiring Committee: TT MARC & Associate Director University Writing Center
Academic Services Committee
Social Media Committee
Honor Code Council
August 15, 2019-Present
Faculty Handbook Committee
August 15, 2019-Present