Faculty Profile for Dr. Janet Payne
Biography and EducationJanet Payne, Ph.D. is a Professor in the Department of Finance and Economics at Texas State University. She received her Bachelors of Business Administration in Accounting from Sam Houston State University and her M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Finance from Georgia State University. She is Faculty Advisor for the Financial Management Association, which has won Superior Chapter recognition virtually every year. Dr. Payne serves as Faculty Mentor for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Research Challenge. Three of her five CFA Research teams have made it to the four-state finals, with two of those teams winning first and second place to advance to the regional competitions. She has published research on various corporate finance issues in Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Financial Review, Journal of Financial Research, Journal of Financial Education, and various other outlets. She holds the Certified Treasury Professional and Financial Planning and Analysis Professional designations.
Teaching InterestsCorporate Finance, Financial Modeling, Personal Finance
Research InterestsCorporate Finance, International Finance, Behavioral Finance
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Alanis, E., Payne, J., & Picard, J. (2020). Managing for Ratings: Real Effects of a Corporate Ratings Criteria Change. Journal of Financial Research, 43(4), 821–845.
- Tanner, G., Chittenden, W. T., & Payne, J. (2020). Style Drift Among Value and Growth Funds. Journal of Investing, 29, 51–60. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.3905/joi.2020.1.142
- You, L., Payne, J., & Lin, S. (2018). Do Multiple Foreign Listings Create Value for Firms? Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 69, 134–143.
- Lesseig, V., & Payne, J. (2017). The Precision of Asset Beta Estimates. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 13(2), 213–224.
- Lytle, L., & Payne, J. (2015). Real-World Application: Forecasting and Valuation Pedagogy as Compared to Industry Practice. Advances in Financial Education, 13(1/2), 1–21.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean Nominee for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Service, McCoy College. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Service. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Educational Research Paper, Financial Education Association. September 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean Nominee for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Service, McCoy College. 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor nominee, Alpha Chi. 2011
Selected Service Activities
April 1, 2020-Present
Master of Science in Quantitative Finance and Economics
Graduate Policies Committee
College T&P Review Group
September 2021-September 2024