Faculty Profile for Dr. Francis A Mendez
Biography and EducationDr. Francis A. Méndez Mediavilla is a Professor of Statistics in the Department of Information Systems and Analytics at Texas State University. He received his Ph.D. in Management Science from Rutgers, an MBA in Quantitative Methods, a BBA in Finance, a BBA in Management Information Systems from the University of Puerto Rico. He is an Accredited Professional Statistician by the American Statistical Association, a fellow of the Translational Health Research Center, an associate of the Center for High Performance Systems at Texas State University. His main current research interests include exploratory data analysis, probabilistic sampling, and computational statistics.
He has published in the Journal of Applied Statistics, Journal of Industrial and Management Optimization, Journal of Computer Information Systems, British Journal of Management, the International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, and the IEEE Transactions in Semiconductor Manufacturing.
Teaching InterestsExploratory Data Analysis and Computational Statistics
Research InterestsExploratory Data Analysis (EDA), Survey Sampling, Computational Statistics, Management Science
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Sharotry, A., Jimenez, J. A., & Mendez Mediavilla, F. A. (2023). Forklift Operator Safety & Productivity: A Review of Current Research and Future Directions. Retrieved from https://digitalcommons.georgiasouthern.edu/pmhr_2023/17/
- Perez, E., *Marthak, Y. V., & Mendez, F. A. (2022). Analysis and Forecast of Donations at Domestic Hunger Relief Organizations Impacted by Natural Disasters. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 86.
- Sharotry, A., Jimenez, J. A., Wierschem, D., Mendez Mediavilla, F. A., Koldenhoven, R. M., Valles, D., … Aslan, S. (2021). A Digital Twin Framework for Real-Time Analysis and Feedback of Repetitive Work in the Manual Material Handling Industry (pp. 2637–2648). https://doi.org/10.1109/WSC48552.2020.9384043
- Kim, J., Mendez, F. A., & Jimenez, J. (2020). Storage location assignment heuristics based on slot selection and frequent itemset grouping for large distribution centers. IEEE Access, 8, 189025–189035. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3031585
- Wierschem, D. C., Jimenez, J. A., & Mendez, F. A. (2020). A Motion Capture System for the Study of Human Manufacturing Repetitive Motions. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. Retrieved from McCoy College
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2022 Presidential Distinction for Excellence in Teaching, McCoy College of Business. August 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean Paul R. Gowens Excellence Professorship in Business Administration, McCoy College of Business Administration. January 2019 - January 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2019 Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, McCoy College of Business. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. January 2018 - December 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: 2018 Excellence in Teaching Award, Texas State University. August 2018
- Ekin, Tahir (Principal), Tesic, Jelena (Co-Principal), Qasem, Apan Muhammad (Co-Principal), Valles Molina, Damian (Co-Principal), Summers, Lucia (Co-Principal), Hewitt, Barbara A (Supporting), Liu, Xiangping (Supporting), Chang, Carolyn T (Supporting), Mendez, Francis A (Supporting), Irvin, Jennifer A (Supporting), Resendiz, Maria D (Supporting). Expanding AI Curriculum and Infrastructure at Texas State University to Advance Interdisciplinary Research and Grow a Diverse AI Workforce, National Science Foundation, Federal, $400000. (Submitted: June 2023, Funded: January 2024 - December 2025). Grant.
- Biediger-Friedman, Lesli M (Principal), Qasem, Apan Muhammad (Co-Principal), Villagran, Melinda Morris (Co-Principal), Johnson, Cassandra (Co-Principal), Renick, Cecil O (Co-Principal), Hwang, Sangchul Scott (Supporting), Mendez, Francis A (Supporting), Sen, Keya (Supporting), Ramamonjiarivelo, Zo H (Supporting), Shanmugam, Ram (Supporting), Charles, Joni S J (Supporting). NUEVA - Nutrition for Underserved Elders Via Application, United States Department of Health and Human Services - Administration for Community Living, Federal, $2764270. (Submitted: March 10, 2022, Funded: August 1, 2022 - July 31, 2027). Grant.
- Fulton, Lawrence V (Principal), Mendez, Francis A (Co-Principal), Qasem, Apan Muhammad (Co-Principal). Accelerating Credentials Planning Grant, THECB, State, $50000. (Funded: July 2022 - September 2022). Grant.
- Fulton, Lawrence V (Principal), Villagran, Melinda Morris (Co-Principal), , Bing Zhou (Co-Principal), Mendez, Francis A (Co-Principal), Ekin, Tahir (Co-Principal), Qasem, Apan Muhammad (Co-Principal), Konur, Dincer (Supporting), Alanis, Emmanuel (Supporting), Zihagh, Fereshteh (Supporting), Dong, Zhijie (Co-Principal), Shen, Xiaoxi (Supporting), De Nadai, Alessandro Stevens (Supporting), Zhu, Ye (Co-Principal), Hewitt, Barbara A (Co-Principal), Valles Molina, Damian (Supporting), White, Alexander (Supporting), Dolezel, Diane M (Supporting), Ioudina, Vera (Supporting), Islam, Tanzima Z (Supporting), Lee, Chul Ho (Supporting), Metsis, Vangelis (Supporting), Moradi, Masoud (Supporting), Gao, Ju (Supporting), Li-Jen, Lester (Supporting), Jones, Dustin (Supporting), Pham, Vung (Supporting), Holt, Melinda (Supporting), Kyung An, Min (Supporting), Islam, ABM (Supporting), Cho, Hyuk (Supporting), Liu, Quigzhoung (Supporting), Liang, Fan (Supporting), Topinka, Joseph Baar (Supporting). The Accelerating Credentials of Purpose and Value for the Texas Innovation Corridor (TIC) Consortium Grant, THECB, State, $1450000. (Submitted: November 2021, Funded: February 2022 - October 2022). Grant.
- Jimenez, Jesus, Mendez, Francis A, Perez, Eduardo, Wright, Robert L (Supporting). Exploratory Analysis and Quality Assurance to Support Texas State Use Program Administration, Texas Workforce Commission, State, $197752. (Submitted: November 2019, Funded: September 28, 2020 - August 31, 2021). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Kiwanis Club San Marcos
February 16, 2023-February 16, 2023
Reviewer / Referee
Informs Journal on Applied Analytics
Data Science Pathways on the Zeus Platform
Translational Health Research Center