Faculty Profile for Dr. San Hwang
Biography and EducationSangchul Hwang is an associate professor of Civil / Environmental Engineering in Ingram School of Engineering at Texas State University. He joined the faculty in 2020 after serving for 16 years as a professor at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. He is a licensed professional engineer in Texas (#131161). He did two post-doctoral appointments: one was at US EPA National Risk Management Research Laboratory (OK) and the other at US Army ERDC Environmental Laboratory (MS). He acquired a PhD degree from the University of Akron (OH).
Teaching InterestsDr. Hwang is interested in teaching various environmental and water resources engineering courses: from Fluid Mechanics and Water Treatment to Waste Management and Material Engineering.
Research InterestsDr. Hwang’s research expertise is broadly in nature-inspired civil and environmental engineering. His current research thrust is with upcycling of plant biomass to produce advance materials for improvement of water quality, sanitation, public health, and agricultural productivity. He also focuses on design, optimization, and implementation of Green Stormwater Infrastructure for Low Impact Development.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Mandal, S., & Hwang, S. S. (2023). Guar gum, a low-cost sustainable biopolymer, for wastewater treatment: A review. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2022.12.039
- Gurav, R., Mandal, S., Smith, L., Shi, S., & Hwang, S. S. (2023). The potential of self-activated carbon for adsorptive removal of toxic phenoxyacetic acid herbicide from water. Chemosphere, 339, 139715. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2023.139715
- Hwang, S. S., & Yeon, J. H. (2022). Fly Ash-Added, Seawater-Mixed Pervious Concrete: Compressive Strength, Permeability, and Phosphorus Removal. Materials, 15, 1407. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.3390/ma15041407
- Hwang, V., Masters, A., Arocho, M., & Hwang, S. S. (2017). Fly ash-amended pervious concrete pavement followed by bamboo bioretention basin with Dracaena sanderiana for urban stormwater runoff control. Construction & Building Materials, 132, 161–169.
- Latorre, I., Hwang, S. S., Sevillano, M., & Montalvo, R. (2012). PVC Biodeterioration and DEHP Leaching by DEHP-degrading Bacteria. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 69, 73–81.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Professional Engineer, Texas Board of Professional Engineer. July 9, 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Certified Pervious Concrete Technician, NRMCA. March 6, 2016 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Tau Beta Pi, Tau Beta Pi, The Engineering Honor Society. December 2001 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Invited Talk, US EPA Region 3 Headquater. March 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Professor of Civil Engineering, 2012-2013, University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. May 2014
- Hwang, Sangchul Scott (Principal). E. coli and nutrient reduction with Biologically Active Float, The City of Kyle, Municipal, $249264. (Submitted: March 2023, Funded: 2023 - 2025). Grant.
- Pan, Xi (Principal), Hwang, Sangchul Scott (Co-Principal), Westerberg, Carmen E (Supporting), Zhao, Qiang (Supporting). Exposure to Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) on Cognitive Function in Firefighters in Central Texas, Texas State University, $30000. (Funded: 2023 - 2024). Grant.
- Hwang, Sangchul Scott (Principal), Song, In-Hyouk (Co-Principal), Carlos-Shanley, Camila (Co-Principal), Ji, Chang (Co-Principal). Sustainable, Safe, and Climate Resilient Remediation Site Operations, Department of Energy, Federal, $319856. (Submitted: August 2022, Funded: 2023 - 2024). Grant.
- Hwang, Sangchul Scott (Principal), Yeon, Jung (Co-Principal), Shi, Xijun (Co-Principal), Ozbakkaloglu, Togay (Co-Principal), Kulesza, Stacey (Co-Principal), Carvallo, Andres (Co-Principal). Professional Services and Studies on Green and Technology-Enhanced Infrastructure Management and Firefighter's Health, Hays County, State, $167454. (Funded: January 2023 - December 2024). Grant.
- Biediger-Friedman, Lesli M (Principal), Qasem, Apan Muhammad (Co-Principal), Villagran, Melinda Morris (Co-Principal), Johnson, Cassandra (Co-Principal), Renick, Cecil O (Co-Principal), Hwang, Sangchul Scott (Supporting), Mendez, Francis A (Supporting), Sen, Keya (Supporting), Ramamonjiarivelo, Zo H (Supporting), Shanmugam, Ram (Supporting), Charles, Joni S J (Supporting). NUEVA - Nutrition for Underserved Elders Via Application, United States Department of Health and Human Services - Administration for Community Living, Federal, $2764270. (Submitted: March 10, 2022, Funded: August 1, 2022 - July 31, 2027). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Plum Creek Watershed Partnership Steering Committee
Editorial Review Board Member
Revista Internacional de Desastres Naturales, Accidentes e Infraestructura Civil (RIDNAIC)
Aqua - Water Infrastructure, Ecosystems and Society
ISoE Annual Review Committee
ARIA: Alliance of Researchers in Aging