Faculty Profile for Dr. Jie Zhu
Biography and EducationDr. Zhu is currently an Assistant Professor of Nutrition at Texas State University. Dr. Zhu earned his B.S. in Clinical Medicine from School of Medicine and Ph.D. in Internal Medicine with a focus on Gastroenterology and Nutrition from The First Clinical Medical College, Wuhan University. Thereafter, he was awarded a postdoctoral fellowship in Human Nutrition at UNC Nutrition Research Institute, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Research InterestsDr. Zhu’s research focuses on exploring how diet patterns/nutrients (especially one-carbon metabolism nutrients) and gene interactions affect human chronic diseases risk, and understanding inter-individual differences in nutrients metabolism through a systems biology approach which incorporates various assessments of biochemical, epidemiological, genetic, epigenetic, metabolomic and physiologic endpoints. The goal of this research work is to identify individual genetic factors contributing to diet-related disease risk, understanding inter-individual differences in nutrients metabolism, and exploring effective nutrition intervention programs, which will inform the development of personalized nutrients intake recommendations and ultimately promote human health as well as allow for more effective prevention and/or treatment of human chronic diseases.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Zhu, J., Xun, P. C., Kolencik, M., Fly, A. D., Yang, K. F., & He, K. (2022). Do B vitamins enhance the effect of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on cardiovascular diseases? A systematic review of clinical trials. Nutrients, 1608. https://doi.org/doi.org/10.3390/nu14081608 Impact factor (2021): 5.717
- Lu, L., Chen, C., Zhu, J., Tang, W., Jacobs, D. R., Shikany, J. M., & Kahe, K. (2021). Calcium Intake Is Inversely Related to Risk of Obesity among American Young Adults over a 30-Year Follow-Up. J Nutr., 151(8), 2383–2389. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxab114 Impact factor (2021): 4.798
- Zhu, J., Liu, Y.-H., He, X.-L., Kohlmeier, M., Zhou, L.-L., Shen, L.-W., … Wang, B. (2021). Dietary Choline Intake during Pregnancy and PEMT rs7946 Polymorphism on Risk of Preterm Birth: A Case-control Study. Ann Nutr Metab., 76(6), 431–440. https://doi.org/10.1159/000507472 Impact factor (2020): 3.374
- Zhu, J., Chen, C., Lu, L., Yang, K., Reis, J., & He, K. (2020). Intakes of Folate, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B12 in Relation to Diabetes Incidence among American Young Adults: A 30-year Follow-up Study. Diabetes Care, 43(10), 2426–2434. https://doi.org/doi.org/10.2337/dc20-0828 Impact factor (2020): 19.112
- Wu, K., Zhu, J., Zhou, L., Shen, L., Gao, R., Lou, Z., … Wang, B. (2020). Lactational changes of fatty acids and fat-soluble antioxidants in human milk from healthy Chinese mothers. Br J Nutr. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114520000239. Impact factor (2020): 3.718
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence, Scholarly/Creative Activities. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Grant Writing Program Competition Award. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Oral Presentation, The 7th Asian Congress of Dietetics. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: The 6nd Academic English Speech Contest for Young Pediatric Medical Professionals in Shanghai, Shanghai, China. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Co-winner of Creativity Competition of Health Communication. School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China. 2017
- Zhu, Jie (Co-Principal), Koh, Gar Yee (Co-Principal). Effect of maternal methyl-donor nutrients supplementation during pregnancy and lactation on the risk of cardiometabolic disorders among offspring, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $13370. (Funded: December 3, 2021 - June 30, 2023). Grant.
- Zhu, Jie (Principal). Maternal Choline and Betaine Intakes during Pregnancy and Risk of Gestational Diabetes, Miying (Shanghai) Cultural Creative Co., LTD, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $10000. (Funded: February 1, 2021 - December 30, 2022). Grant.
- Zhu, Jie (Principal), Shen, Xiaoxi (Co-Principal), Bishop, Nicholas (Co-Principal), Metsis, Vangelis (Co-Principal). Exploring Interaction of One-carbon Metabolism Nutrients Intakes and Genetic Susceptibility on Risk of Metabolic Syndrome among Multi-ethnic US Adults with Diverse Socio-demographic, Biomedical, and Lifestyle Characters, Multidisciplinary Internal Research Grant (MIRG), Texas State University, $12000. (Funded: September 1, 2022 - Present). Grant.
- Zhu, Jie (Principal), Shen, Xiaoxi (Co-Principal), Bishop, Nicholas Joseph (Co-Principal), Metsis, Vangelis (Co-Principal). Exploring Interaction of One-carbon Metabolism Nutrients Intakes and Genetic Susceptibility on Risk of Metabolic Syndrome among Multi-ethnic US Adults with Diverse Socio-demographic, Biomedical, and Lifestyle Characters, Texas State University Multidisciplinary Internal Research Grant, Texas State University, $12000. (Funded: August 24, 2022 - Present). Grant.
- Koh, Gar Yee (Co-Principal), Zhu, Jie (Co-Principal), Salcedo Price, Ramona (Co-Principal). SURGE in Nutrition Research Learning Community, College of Applied Arts, Texas State University, $6000. (Funded: August 12, 2022 - June 1, 2023). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Graduate Admissions Committee
January 22, 2021-Present
Scholarship Awards Committee
University translational science scholar showcase
the SFCS Recruitment committee
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry
November 10, 2021-Present