Faculty Profile for Dr. Cody Lynn Patterson
Dr. Cody Lynn Patterson
Assistant Professor — Mathematics
phone: (512) 245-5259
Biography and EducationB.S. Mathematics, Texas A&M University, 2002.
M.S. Mathematics, Texas A&M University, 2003.
Ph.D. Mathematics, University of Texas at Austin, 2010.
Teaching InterestsI enjoy teaching courses for mathematics majors, including analysis, topology, and abstract algebra. I also enjoy teaching courses in the calculus sequence and mathematics content courses for preservice and inservice mathematics teachers.
Research InterestsMathematical knowledge for teaching secondary mathematics; problem solving; teachers' and students' epistemologies of mathematics.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Patterson, C. L., & McGraw, R. (2018). When time is an implicit variable: An investigation of students’ ways of understanding graphing tasks. Mathematical Thinking and Learning, 20(4), 295–323. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/10986065.2018.1509421
- Guajardo, L. R., Melhuish, K. M., Zolt, H. M., Gonzalez, M. A., Tucci, A. A., Patterson, C. L., & Curtin, E. (n.d.). Beliefs and Rationales For Instructor Questioning Choices During Class Discussion of the First Isomorphism Theorem. In RUME.
- Melhuish, K. M., Lew, K. M., Dawkins, P. C., Strickland, S. K., & Patterson, C. L. (n.d.). Engineering Instructional Practices to Better Support Access and Participatory Equity in Authentic Proof Activity. In RUME Conference Proceedings.
- Patterson, C. L., Melhuish, K. M., & Hicks, M. D. (n.d.). The Role of Ritual and Personalization in Students’ Exploration of Subgroup Generation. In Proceedings of the 25th Annual Conference on Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education.
- Zolt, H. M., Wrightsman, E. M., Ford, L. L., & Patterson, C. L. (2022). Believing in infinity: Exploring students’ conceptions of improper integrals. PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Excellence Award, Department of Mathematics. December 2, 2022
- Award / Honor Nominee: Teaching Award of Honor, Texas State University. June 10, 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Excellence Award, Texas State Department of Mathematics. December 3, 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: David Lovelock Faculty Teaching Award, University of Arizona Department of Mathematics. May 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Service Award, University of Arizona Department of Mathematics. May 2011
- Patterson, Cody Lynn (Principal), Prasad, Priya (Co-Principal), Bonner, Emily (Co-Principal). Reasoning Language for Teaching Secondary Algebra (ReLaTe-SA), National Science Foundation (Discovery Research PreK-12), Federal, $444474. (Funded: September 1, 2019 - August 31, 2022). Grant.
- Warshauer, Hiroko K (Principal), Warshauer, Max L (Co-Principal), Patterson, Cody L (Co-Principal). Silicon Labs: Mathworks Summer Math Camps, Silicon Labs, Silicon Labs Corporate Giving Program, $8000. (Submitted: October 2022, Funded: January 2023 - August 2023). Grant.
- Melhuish, Kathleen Mary, Ellis, Brittney Marie, Patterson, Cody Lynn, Strickland, Sharon K. Structuring Equitable Participation in Undergraduate Proof, National Science Foundation, Federal, $600000. (Submitted: July 2022, Funded: January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2025). Grant.
- Warshauer, Hiroko K (Principal), Warshauer, Max K (Co-Principal), Patterson, Cody L. HEB Tournament of Champions, HEB, HEB, $16000. (Submitted: October 2022). Grant.
- Patterson, Cody Lynn (Principal), Warshauer, Max L (Co-Principal). H-E-B Tournament of Champions, H-E-B Tournament of Champions, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $16000. (Submitted: October 10, 2022, Funded: January 1, 2022 - December 1, 2022). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
American Invitational Mathematics Examination (AIME) Editorial Board
June 24, 2019-Present
MATH 1300 Substitute
November 2, 2022-Present
MATH 1316 Lesson Study
August 20, 2022-Present
Texas State H-LSAMP Scholars Program
Texas State Mathematics Education Seminar