Faculty Profile for Dr. Nestor D Guillen Matheus
Biography and EducationI am originally from Valera, a town in the Venezuelan Andes. I have been at Texas State since 2019. Before that, my academic homes (in reverse chronological order) where UMass and UCLA, with shorter stays at the Fields Institute, the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, and the Institute for Advanced Study. I obtained my PhD at UT Austin in 2010 and my Licenciatura en Matemáticas at Universidad Simón Bolívar in 2006.
Research InterestsAnalysis of partial differential equations, the calculus of variations, and scientific computing, for publications/preprints/lecture notes go to www.ndguillen.com
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Guillen, N., & Schwab, R. W. (2019). Min–max formulas for nonlocal elliptic operators. Calculus of Variations and Partial Differential Equations, 58(6). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00526-019-1631-z
- Guillen Matheus, N. D., & Gualdani, M. (2019). On $A_p$ weights and the Landau equation. Calculus of Variations and Partial Differential Equations. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00526-018-1451-6
- Guillen, N., & Gualdani, M. P. (2022). Hardy’s inequality and the isotropic Landau equation. Journal of Functional Analysis, 283(6). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfa.2022.109559
- Guillen, N., Kim, I., & Mellet, A. (2022). A Hele-Shaw limit without monotonicity. Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00205-021-01750-4
- Guillen, N., & Kitagawa, J. (2020). Optimal transport and the Gauss curvature equation. Methods and Applications of Analysis, 27(Special Issue for the 60th Birthday of John Urbas), 387–404. https://doi.org/https://dx.doi.org/10.4310/MAA.2020.v27.n4.a5
- Award / Honor Recipient: CAREER, National Science Foundation. July 1, 2022 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Visiting Researcher at the Fields Institute Toronto, Canada. 2014
- Guillen Matheus, Nestor D. CAREER: Integro-differential and transport problems in partial differential equations, National Science Foundation, Federal, $498969. (Submitted: July 2021, Funded: July 1, 2022 - May 2027). Grant.
- Guillen Matheus, Nestor D. Collaborative Research: The Structure of Nonlocal Operators and Applications, National Science Foundation, Federal, $135000. (Funded: 2017 - 2020). Grant.
- Guillen Matheus, Nestor D. Geometric and analytic issues of nonlinear equations modeling non-local phenomena, National Science Foundation, Federal, $102000. (Funded: 2012 - 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Electronic Journal of Differential Equations
OWSD Early Career Fellowships Selection Committee
Graphs, geometry, and gerrymandering Common Experience Event
September 2019-October 2020
Coordinator / Organizer
BIRS Workshop: Recent progress in kinetic and integro-differential equations
September 2020-September 2020