Faculty Profile for Dr. Andrew Owen Behnke
Biography and EducationDr. Andrew Behnke is the Director of the School of Family and Consumer Sciences at Texas State. Dr. Behnke grew up in Plano Texas and received his PhD at Purdue University. From 2005-2019, he was a Professor and Extension Specialist at NC State University. Dr. Behnke and Cintia Aguilar developed the Juntos Program which has helped thousands of Latino youth from across the country get to college and achieve their dreams. Dr. Behnke is an advisor to non-profit agencies in the areas of program development, evaluation, and grant writing. Dr. Behnke loves writing grants that have a real-world impact on those with limited resources. His life's mission is helping youth and their families thrive in all aspects of their lives.
Teaching InterestsFamilies in Crisis, Program Development and Evaluation, and Grant Writing
Research InterestsHis research agenda includes studying ethnic minority fathers, evidence-based programs to support immigrant youth and families, college access and college success programming, and domestic violence prevention.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Saha, S., Okafor, H. R., Biediger-Friedman, L. M., & Behnke, A. O. (2021). Association between diet and symptoms of anxiety and depression in college students: A systematic review. Journal of American College Health, (June, 2021), 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2021.1926267
- Sigal, M., Ross, B. J., Behnke, A. O., & Plunkett, S. W. (2021). Neighborhood, peer, and parental influences on minor and major substance use of Latino and Black Adolescents. Children, 8(4), 267–279. Retrieved from https://res.mdpi.com/children/children-08-00267/article_deploy/children-08-00267.pdf
- Behnke, A. O., Urieta, D. M., Duan, S., & Lewis, Z. (2020). Evaluation of Juntos 4-H: A wraparound program helping Latinx high schoolers succeed. Journal of Extension, 58(2), v58--2rb8.
- Behnke, A. O., Bodenhamer, A., McDonald, T. N., & Robledo, M. (2019). The impact of the Juntos Program: A qualitative evaluation. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 41(1), 63--84.
- Allen, K., Baker, T., Behnke, A. O., & others. (2018). Parental perceptions of coaching. International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring, 16(1), 66.
- Award / Honor Recipient: NC State University Faculty Scholar, NC State University. February 10, 2015 - May 15, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Bright Spot in Hispanic Education, The White House Initiative on Educational Excellence. January 1, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Early Achievement Award, National Extension Family Life Specialist Conference. November 15, 2011
- Draw-Hood, Rukeia (Principal), Behnke, Andrew Owen (Supporting). Prairie View A&M University Sustainable Community Project., NIFA, Federal, $640000. (Funded: August 1, 2021 - July 30, 2026). Grant.
- Behnke, Andrew Owen (Principal), Aguilar, Cintia (Co-Principal), Urieta, Diana (Co-Principal), McShane, Judith (Co-Principal). The Juntos Sustainable Community Project: A Collaboration between NC State University, NC A&T University, and University of Idaho., NIFA, Federal, $1280000. (Funded: August 1, 2018 - July 30, 2023). Grant.
- Behnke, Andrew Owen (Principal), Aguilar, Cintia (Co-Principal), Urieta, Diana (Co-Principal). North Carolina Expansion of the Juntos 4-H Program, Nc State University, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $280000. (Funded: August 1, 2016 - July 30, 2018). Grant.
- Behnke, Andrew Owen (Principal), Urieta, Diana (Co-Principal), Aguilar, Cintia (Co-Principal). National Expansion of the Juntos 4-H Program, New York Life Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $2120000. (Funded: August 1, 2015 - July 1, 2020). Grant.
- Behnke, Andrew Owen (Principal), Urieta, Diana (Co-Principal), Aguilar, Cintia (Principal). Juntos 21st Century Community Learning Center, NC Department of Public Instruction, State, $1360000. (Funded: August 1, 2013 - July 30, 2018). Grant.