Faculty Profile for Dr. Emily Kyung Jin Suh
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Suh, E. K. J., Wu, N., Garcia, A. J., Oelschlegel, C. P., & Armstrong, S. L. (2022). (Un)voicing a field’s expertise: A two-pronged citation and language analysis. Journal of Praxis in Higher Education, 4(2), 90–121.
- Suh, E. K. J., Williams, J., & Owens, S. (2021). Raciolinguistic justice in college literacy and learning: A call to reflexive praxis. College Reading and Learning Association. Retrieved from https://www.crla.net/images/whitepaper/CRLA_2021_WhitePaper_Raciolinguistic_Justice_FA.pdf
- Suh, E. K. J. (2020). Engagement from the periphery: Reconceptualizing adult English language learners’ resistance in developmental literacy. Literacy Research: Theory, Method, and Practice, 69(1), 1–20. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1177/2381336920937276
- Suh, E. K. J. (2020). Adoptees.Speak: A multimodal analysis of Korean adoptees’ adoption narratives. Critical Issues in Language Studies, 18(1), 65–84. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/15427587.2020.1796486
- Suh, E. K. J., Dyer, J., McGee, B., & Miller Payne, E. (2020). To, through, and beyond higher education: A literature review of multilingual immigrant students’ community college transitions. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 1–17.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Scholarly/Creative Products, College of Education, Texas State University. 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Paper Award, Literacy Research Association. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dissertation Award, The American Association of Applied Linguistics. December 2018 - 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Founders' Emergent Scholar Award, International Society for Language Studies. December 2018 - 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Anne Ferguson Award for Professional Development, National Association for Developmental Education. 2014
- Suh, Emily Kyung Jin (Principal), White, Alexander (Co-Principal), Gerlofs, Maureen Patricia (Supporting). THECB College Readiness and Success Models, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, State, $100000. (Funded: August 31, 2023 - August 1, 2025). Grant.
- Westbrook, Thersa (Principal), Suh, Emily Kyung Jin (Co-Principal), White, Alexander (Supporting). THECB College Readiness Model, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, State, $100000. (Funded: August 31, 2021 - August 1, 2024). Grant.
- Suh, Emily Kyung Jin, Payne, Emily Miller. A Comparative Analysis of State Policy and Implementation: Understanding the Adult ESL-to-Credit Pipeline, $16000. (Submitted: October 2018, Funded: January 2019 - December 2020). Grant.
- Suh, Emily Kyung Jin. IUS Developmental Education Exploration, IU, Institutional (Higher Ed), $8000. (Funded: January 1, 2018 - August 2018). Grant.
- Suh, Emily Kyung Jin. Korean Adoptees in Documentaries and Blogs: A Multimodal Critical Discourse Analysis, Indiana University, IU Internal, $4165. (Funded: January 1, 2018 - May 2018). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Developmental Reading and Writing, Texas Community College Teachers Association
Equity, Access and Inclusion Network, National Organization for Student Success
Indiana Association for Developmental Education
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Adult and Adolescent Literacy
Research Enhancement Committee