Faculty Profile for Dr. Julie McCormick Weng
Biography and EducationDr. Julie McCormick Weng teaches courses in modern British, Irish, and postcolonial literatures. Her publications include Race in Irish Literature and Culture (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2024), with Malcolm Sen; and Science, Technology, and Irish Modernism (Syracuse University Press, 2019), with Kathryn Conrad and Cóilín Parsons. Her work is also featured or forthcoming in Modernism/modernity, Journal of Modern Literature, Éire-Ireland, Joyce Studies Annual, Feminist Formations, and elsewhere. Currently, she serves as Secretary of the American Conference for Irish Studies.
Teaching InterestsRecent Courses:
Modern Irish Poetry
Contemporary Irish Literature
Joyce / Beckett
Global Modernist Short Stories
Postcolonial Women Writers
Modern Irish Drama
Twentieth Century British Literature
British Literature Since 1785
World Literature Since 1600
Research InterestsIrish Studies, Global Modernisms, Postcolonial Studies, Science and Technology, Gender and Women's Studies, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, WB Yeats
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Weng, J. M. (n.d.). “A Dialectic of Modern Irish Enlightenment: Singing the Artist Electric.” Modernism/Modernity, 31(3).
- Weng, J. M. (n.d.). “W. B. Yeats, the Irish Free State, and the Rhetoric of Race Suicide.” In M. Sen & J. M. Weng (Eds.), Race in Irish Literature and Culture (pp. 143–171). Cambridge University Press.
- Weng, J. M. (2023). “Reading James Joyce in the Wake of the #MeToo Movement.” In K. Ebury, M. Fogarty, & B. English (Eds.), Ethical Crossroads in Literary Modernism (pp. 235–251). Clemson University Press.
- Weng, J. M., Conrad, K., & Parsons, C. (Eds.). (2019). Science, Technology, and Irish Modernism. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press.
- Weng, J. M. (2016). “Her ‘Bisexycle,’ Her Body, and Her Self-Propulsion in Finnegans Wake.” Journal of Modern Literature, 39:(4), 49–66.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Professor of the Year 2022-2023, Sigma Tau Delta, International English Honor Society. April 2023 - 2023
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching. 2021
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Service. 2020