Faculty Profile for Jerry Ruiz
Assistant Professor — Department of Theatre & Dance
phone: (512) 245-2147
Biography and EducationUpon graduating from UC-San Diego with an MFA in Directing, Jerry moved to NYC and launched a successful career as a stage director specializing in developing new plays, directing world premieres at noted off-Broadway and regional theaters such as Second Stage Theater, Primary Stages, Denver Center Theater Company, Rattlestick Playwright's Theater and Clubbed Thumb. Other credits include productions at: Old Globe, PlayMakers Repertory Company, Mint Theater Company and Mixed Blood.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Director, Fabulous Monsters. January 15, 2023 - February 24, 2023.
- Director, The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity.
January 1, 2022 - November 1, 2022.
- The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity by Kristoffer Diaz. January 1, 2022 - November 1, 2022 Zach Theatre, Austin, TX.
- Director, Arbolito (Staged Reading).
September 1, 2022 - September 15, 2022.
- Staged Reading. Hyde Park Theatre, Austin, TX.
- Director, Appropriate.
February 1, 2022 - May 1, 2022.
- Appropriate by Branden Jacobs Jenkins. February 1, 2022 - May 1, 2022 Profile Theatre, Portland, OR.
- Director, Cebollas (Staged Reading).
February 1, 2022 - February 15, 2022.
- Colorado New Play Summit. February 1, 2022 - February 15, 2022 Denver Center for the Performing Arts, Denver, CO.
Selected Service Activities
Theatrical Intimacy Committee
August 15, 2020-Present
Equity Diversity & Inclusion Committee
September 1, 2019-Present
Season Selection Committee
January 15, 2019-Present
Search Commitee for Lecturer of Sound Design/Technology
February 1, 2022-May 1, 2022
Common Experience Committee
September 1, 2021-May 1, 2022