Faculty Profile for Dr. Michelle Lynn Edwards
Dr. Michelle Lynn Edwards
Associate Professor — Sociology
phone: (512) 245-2113
Biography and EducationI am originally from Edinburg in the Rio Grande Valley. I received my B.A. in Sociology from Rice University in 2005, my M.A. in Sociology from Texas State University in 2009, and my Ph.D. in Sociology from Washington State University in 2013. I taught at Texas Christian University from 2013-2018. I began teaching at Texas State University in 2018.
Teaching InterestsMy favorite classes to teach are about methods and environmental sociology! At Texas State, I have taught the following courses: Introduction to Sociology (SOCI 1310), Society & Environment (SOCI 3365), Quantitative Research Methods (SOCI 4308), and Applied Survey Research (SOCI 5388J).
Research InterestsMy research interests are related to environmental concerns, risk perceptions, perceptions of science, social inequality, and quantitative and qualitative methods. Past research studies have included a qualitative study of community organizers for farmworkers in Texas, a survey of Washington and Nebraska residents on water governance issues, and a qualitative study of stakeholder perceptions of risk related to hydraulic fracturing in the Dallas-Fort Worth region. I have recently worked with Hannah Edwards (now a Ph.D. student at University of Colorado-Boulder) and Briana Luna (now a DPT student at UTSA) on a study of how the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process is implemented for immigrant detention centers. I am also working on a research project with Hannah Edwards and Caden Ziegler (a current Texas State undergraduate student) exploring the views of people who are involved in organizing and implementing environmental training programs in prisons.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Tritsch, K., Mix, K., Edwards, M. L., & Piña Jr., M. (2022). Evaluating Success Factors and Challenges Among Small-Scale Agricultural Producers: A Texas Case Study. Journal of Rural Social Sciences, 37(3). https://doi.org/https://egrove.olemiss.edu/jrss/vol37/iss3/3
- Edwards, M. L., & Caden, Z. (2022). Examining Science Communication on Reddit: From an “Assembled” to a “Disassembling” Approach. Public Understanding of Science, 31(4), 473–488.
- Tritsch, K., Mix, K., Edwards, M. L., & Piña Jr., M. (2021). What Makes a Small Farm Successful? A Review of Success Factors, Needs, and Challenges. Journal of Extension, 59(2). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.34068/joe.59.02.18
- Edwards, M. L., Luna, B., & Edwards, H. (2021). Environmental Injustices in Immigrant Detention: How Absences Are Embedded in the NEPA Process. Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space, 4(2), 429–450. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1177/2514848620909734
- Edwards, M. L. (2019). Uncertainty and Trustworthiness in Discussions of Fracking: Exploring the Views of Academic Scientists and Local Governmental Representatives. The Extractive Industries and Society, 6, 1113–1121.
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2020 Teaching Award of Honor, Texas State Alumni Association. 2020
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence: Teaching (Assistant Professor), Nominated by the Department of Sociology. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Received a "Snap" from a student, National Residence Hall Honorary. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Mitosfsky Innovators Award to the Dillman Research Team, American Association for Public Opinion Research. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Senior Class Legacy Gift from Katherine French (Former Student), Texas Christian University. 2017
- Edwards, Michelle L. Honorarium for Serving as Panel Moderator for 'The Socio/Demographic/Cultural Profiles of Scientists', Toward a Vision of Diversity in Science and Society Symposium, Texas State University, $500. (Funded: 2018). Grant.
- Edwards, Michelle L (Principal). Dissertation Research Grant, Department of Sociology, Washington State University, $500. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Edwards, Michelle L (Principal). Travel Grant, Department of Sociology, Washington State University, $250. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Edwards, Michelle L (Principal). Registration Grant, Graduate and Professional Student Association, Washington State University, $100. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Edwards, Michelle L. Travel Scholarship, Department of Sociology, Washington State University, $475. (Funded: 2011). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Section on Environmental Sociology (American Sociological Association)
Coordinator / Organizer
Teaching Panel: Teaching Environmental Sociology in a Time of Radical Flux (American Sociological Association)
April 25, 2022-April 25, 2022
Student Learning Outcomes Sub-Committee
College Research Enhancement Program (REP) Committee
Research and Teaching Review Committee