Faculty Profile for Dr. Ionut Catalin Popescu
Biography and EducationDr. Ionut Popescu is Associate Professor of Political Science at Texas State University. Prior to joining Texas State, he worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Clements Center for National Security at the University of Texas at Austin. He earned his PhD in Political Science and International Relations from Duke University in 2013, and he is a former winner of the Smith Richardson Foundation Strategy and Policy Fellows book-writing grant. He also won the Freedom and Opportunity Academic Prize from the Heritage Foundation. Dr. Popescu is the author of Emergent Strategy and Grand Strategy: How American Presidents Succeed in Foreign Policy (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2017). His articles and commentaries have appeared in Foreign Affairs, Foreign Policy, The National Interest, Political Science Quarterly, Journal of Strategic Studies, Contemporary Security Policy, Orbis, Parameters, The Hill, Joint Force Quarterly, Armed Forces Journal and War On The Rocks.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Popescu, I. C. (2022, December 7). Only Offensive Realism Can Contain China. The National Interest. Retrieved from https://nationalinterest.org/feature/only-offensive-realism-can-contain-china-205988
- Popescu, I. C. (2020, September 22). It’s Too Soon For America To Kill Its Grand Strategy. The National Interest. Retrieved from https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/its-too-soon-america-kill-its-grand-strategy-169398
- Popescu, I. C. (2020, April 15). It’s Time to Get Real About Great-Power Politics. The National Interest. US. Retrieved from https://nationalinterest.org/feature/its-time-get-real-about-great-power-politics-144742
- Popescu, I. C. (2019). American Grand Strategy and the Rise of Offensive Realism. Political Science Quarterly, 134(3), 375–405. Retrieved from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/polq.12960
- Popescu, I. C. (2018). Grand Strategy vs. Emergent Strategy in The Conduct of Foreign Policy. Journal of Strategic Studies, 41(3), 438–460.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Freedom and Opportunity Academic Prize ($15,000), Heritage Foundation. June 2023 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Faculty of the Year, Center for International Studies. May 2023 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Achievement Award for Scholarship, TXST College of Liberal Arts. August 1, 2023 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Top Downloaded Article, Wiley – Political Science Quarterly. August 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Award of Honor, Texas State Alumni Association. May 2020
- Popescu, Ionut Catalin. Shape or Adapt: The Planning of American Grand Strategy, Smith Richardson Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $60000. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Popescu, Ionut Catalin. No Peer Rivals: American Grand Strategy in the Era of Great Power Competition, America in the World Consortium, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $10000. (Submitted: October 2021, Funded: December 14, 2021 - May 1, 2023). Grant.
- Popescu, Ionut Catalin. Public Opinion and American Grand Strategy: Does the Public Support a Middle Path?, Research Enhancement Program (REP), Texas State University, $6501. (Submitted: November 2017, Funded: January 2018 - Present). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
SCONA Conference -Texas A&M
Reviewer / Referee
Cambridge Review of International Affairs, Defence Studies, Armed Forces & Society, Contemporary Security Policy, Texas National Security Review, SUNY Press, Routledge, Palgrave Macmillan, Cambria Press, Polity Press
Texas State University International Studies Club
September 18, 2018-Present
Honors College Research Conference
November 18, 2022
Cold War Radio Book Talk with Dr. Mark Pomar
November 2, 2022