Faculty Profile for Dr. Rolf Straubhaar
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Straubhaar, R. J., Vasquez, M., Mellom, P., & Portes, P. (2021). “They wouldn’t go to our school”: Unpacking the racialization of Latinx children through a civil rights lesson in a New South classroom. Journal of Latinos and Education, 20(4), 363–375. https://doi.org/10.1080/15348431.2019.1597719
- Straubhaar, R. J. (2020). Teaching for America across two hemispheres: Comparing the ideological appeal of the Teach for America teacher education model in the United States and Brazil. Journal of Teacher Education, 71(3), 307–318. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1177/0022487119845635
- Mellom, P., Straubhaar, R. J., Balderas, C., Ariail, M., & Portes, P. (2018). “They come with nothing:” How professional development in a culturally responsive pedagogy shapes teacher attitudes towards Latino/a English language learners. Teaching and Teacher Education, 71, 98–107.
- Straubhaar, R. J. (2017). The “power" of value-added thinking: Exploring the implementation of high-stakes teacher accountability policies in Rio de Janeiro. Education Policy Analysis Archives, 25(91), 1–22. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.14507/epaa.25.3034
- Straubhaar, R. J. (2015). The stark reality of the “White Saviour” mentality and the need for critical consciousness: A document analysis of the early journals of a nascent Freirean educator. Compare: A Journal of International and Comparative Education, 45(3), 381–400.
- Award / Honor Recipient: CoSearch, 2nd Place team, Texas State University's Center for Communication, Collaboration and Creativity. September 17, 2021 - September 18, 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University College of Education. February 1, 2021 - February 26, 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, Texas State University College of Education. February 1, 2020 - February 25, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: International School Choice and Reform Conference Travel Award, International School Choice and Reform Conference. January 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, Texas State University College of Education. February 1, 2018 - February 16, 2018
- Straubhaar, Rolf Jacob, Torres, C A, Rhoads, R, Rocco, R. UCLA Uncommon Conversations Research Grant, $8000. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Straubhaar, Rolf Jacob. UCLA Graduate Summer Research Grant, $6000. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Straubhaar, Rolf Jacob (Principal). Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, $82000. (Funded: 2013 - 2014). Grant.
- Straubhaar, Rolf Jacob. FLAS Federal Language Study Grant (Portuguese), $10000. (Funded: 2012 - 2013). Grant.
- Straubhaar, Rolf Jacob. UCLA Education Department Merit-Based Scholarship, $10000. (Funded: 2012 - 2013). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Open Rank Faculty Member Search Committee (Professional Counseling)
Editorial Review Board Member
Educação & Realidade
January 13, 2020-Present
Master's in Educational Leadership
January 1, 2020-Present
Faculty Advisory Committee (FAC)
Social Media Committee, AERA Division L