Faculty Profile for Dr. Shaywanna Lavonne Harris
Biography and EducationB.A., Psychology, Hampton University
M.A., Education-Marriage and Family Therapy, The University of Akron
PhD., Counselor Education, University of Central Florida
Teaching InterestsClinical Courses, Marriage and Family Therapy
Research InterestsRaced-Based Trauma, counselor education, somatic therapy
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Harris, S. L. (n.d.). Assessment in Family Therapy. In O. Uwamahoro Williams & A. Blount (Eds.), A Practical Guide to Couples and Family Counseling.
- Harris, S. L., Belser, C., Wheeler, N., & Dennison, A. B. (2021). A review of adverse childhood experiences as factors influential to biopsychosocial development for young males of color. The Professional Counselor, 11(2), 188–202.
- Harris, S. L. (2020). Neurofeedback in the mitigation of ADHD symptoms. In The Neuroeducation Toolbox: Collaborative Approaches to Infusing Neuroscience Principles in Counseling and Psychotherapy.
- Harris, S. L. (2020). Transitioning from student to scholar: The role of mentorship in the evolution from doctoral student to assistant professor. In From Student to Scholar: Mentoring Underrepresented Scholars in the Academy. (pp. 137–147). Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wheeler, N., Griffith, S., & Harris, S. L. (2020). Exploring adverse childhood experiences as a moderator of individual distress outcomes from individual-oriented relationship education. Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy., 19(1), 76–93.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Scholar Award, The Professional Counselor. July 1, 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Top Cited Article, Wiley/Journal of Counseling and Development. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State College of Education Grant Development Scholars Program. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: AACTE April 2016 Holmes Scholar of the Month. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Florida Education Fund McKnight Doctoral Fellow Russel V. Ewald Academic Excellence Award. 2016
- Harris, Shaywanna Lavonne. Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Research Grant, $500. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Harris, Shaywanna Lavonne. Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling Scholarship Grant, $1700. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Harris, Shaywanna Lavonne. Investigating Neurofeedback in the Mitigation of Behavioral Issues in Low-SES Children who have Experienced Trauma, Association for Child and Adolescent Counseling, Other, $500. (Funded: 2019 - Present). Grant.
- Harris, Shaywanna Lavonne, Purswell, Katherine Elizabeth. Child-Centered Play Therapy and Neurofeedback Training with Children who have Experienced Trauma, Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $3948.25. (Funded: September 2019 - May 2020). Grant.
- Harris, Shaywanna Lavonne. An Investigation of the Effects of Neurofeedback Training on ADHD Symptoms in College Students, Texas State University Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $7955. (Submitted: October 25, 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling
Emerging Board Member Mentor
Journal of Addictions and Offender Counseling
Professional Counseling Program List Serv Administrator
Bobcats Breaking the Stigma
Professional Counseling Program Admissions Committee