Faculty Profile for Dr. Sean Patrick Roche
Dr. Sean Patrick Roche
Assistant Professor — School of Criminal Justice & Criminology
HILL HOUSE 110
phone: (512) 245-2174
Biography and EducationSean Patrick Roche, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the School of Criminal Justice and Criminology at Texas State University. He joined the faculty in 2017 after earning his Ph.D. in Criminal Justice from the University at Albany, SUNY. Dr. Roche’s research interests include public opinion on crime and criminal justice issues, policing, and offender decision-making. He also specializes in survey design and implementation, particularly in online contexts.
Teaching InterestsStatistics; history and philosophy of criminal justice; survey design and implementation
Research InterestsOffender decision-making; policing; the impact of social technologies; criminological and sociological theory; public opinion on crime and criminal justice issues.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Jones, A. M., Vaughan, A. D., Roche, S. P., & Hewitt, A. N. (2022). Policing Persons in Behavioral Crises: An Experimental Test of Bystander Perceptions of Procedural Justice. Journal of Experimental Criminology, 18(3), 581–605. https://doi.org/10.1007%2Fs11292-021-09462-1
- Bilach, T. J., Roche, S. P., & Wawro, G. J. (2022). The Effects of the Summer All Out Foot Patrol Initiative in New York City: A Difference-in-Differences Approach. Journal of Experimental Criminology, 18(2), 209–244. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11292-020-09445-8
- Morley, R. H., Bowman, S. W., Fulton, C. L., Roche, S. P., Jantz, P. B., & Trujillo, L. T. (2021). Mindfulness, Self-Control, Implicit Bias, Race, Threat Perception Failure, and the Accidental Use of Deadly Force Against Off-Duty Police Officers. Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, 1–10.
- Pickett, J. T., Barnes, J. C., Wilson, T., & Roche, S. P. (2020). Prospect Theory and Criminal Choice: Experiments Testing Framing, Reference Dependence, and Decision Weights. Justice Quarterly, 37(6), 1140–1168. https://doi.org/10.1080/07418825.2018.1531142
- Roche, S. P., Wilson, T., & Pickett, J. T. (2020). Perceived Control, Severity, Certainty, and Emotional Fear: Testing an Expanded Model of Deterrence. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, 57(4), 493–531. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022427819888249
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2019 College Achievement Award for Excellence - Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Applied Arts, Texas State University. August 20, 2019
- Award / Honor Nominee: 2021 New Scholar Award, Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS). December 14, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alumni Association Teaching Award of Honor, Texas State University Alumni Association. August 21, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Den Namesake for Bobcat Preview 2020, Bobcat Preview. July 29, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Gene Carte Student Paper Competition, Second Prize (for Weld & Roche, 2017), American Society of Criminology. November 2016
- Jones, Angela Marie, Roche, Sean Patrick. Criminology Replication Grant as part of COS effort in the SCORE program, Center for Open Science, Federal, $9310. (Funded: 2020). Grant.
- Morley, Richard H (Principal), Smith, Kenneth Scott (Co-Principal), Metsis, Vangelis (Co-Principal), Trujillo, Logan Thomas (Co-Principal), Fulton, Cheryl Lisa (Co-Principal), Jantz, Paul B (Co-Principal), Bowman, Scott W (Co-Principal), Roche, Sean Patrick (Co-Principal). Exploring the intersection of mindfulness, stress, large-scale brain networks, bias, threat perception failure, and the decision to use deadly force using virtual reality, Texas State University, $16000. (Submitted: October 30, 2019, Funded: November 9, 2019 - Present). Grant.
- Roche, Sean Patrick, Jones, Angela Marie. SurveyCaTS (Survey Consortium at Texas State), Texas State University, $4800. (Funded: August 2019 - June 2020). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Alpha Phi Sigma
August 24, 2018-Present
June 1, 2023-Present
MSCJ Steering Committee
June 1, 2023-Present
Givens Park Community Survey
June 17, 2022-Present
Doctoral Admissions Committee
January 12, 2022-Present