Faculty Profile for Dr. Hwa Young Lee
Research InterestsBroadly speaking, my research focuses on students’ mathematical thinking in the areas of geometry and algebra. Specifically, my current research interest involves investigating students’ constructions and use of coordinate systems in their spatial and quantitative reasoning.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Paoletti, T., Lee, H. Y., Rahman, Z., Vishnubhotla, M., & Basu, D. (2020). Comparing graphical representations in mathematics, science, and engineering textbooks and practitioner journals. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1080/0020739X.2020.1847336
- Lee, H. Y. (2020). Tell me where they are. Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching Pre-K-12, 113(11), e78–e84. https://doi.org/10.5951/MTLT.2019.0125
- Lee, H. Y., Hardison, H. L., & Paoletti, T. (2020). Foregrounding the Background: Two Uses of Coordinate Systems. For the Learning of Mathematics, 40(2), 32–37.
- Hardison, H. L., & Lee, H. Y. (2020). Funky Protractors for Exploring Angle Measure. Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12, 113(3), 229–232. https://doi.org/10.5951/MTLT.2019.0214
- Lee, H. Y., Moore, K. C., & Tasova, H. I. (2019). Reasoning Within Quantitative Frames of Reference: The Case of Lydia. The Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 53, 81–95.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Research Award (assistant professor, senior lecturer, & lecturer level), Department of Mathematics. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Award of Honor, The Texas State Alumni Association. May 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Teaching Award (Assistant Professor Level), Department of Mathematics. December 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Office of Instruction, University of Georgia. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Graduate Research Award, Psychology of Mathematics Education, North American Chapter. November 2017
- Lee, Hwa Young. CAREER: Reframing students' graph literacy with a focus on students' thinking (GLi-ST), NSF, Federal, $972301. (Submitted: July 2022, Funded: February 15, 2023 - January 31, 2028). Grant.
- Lee, Hwa Young (Principal), Hardison, Hamilton Lee (Co-Principal), Zolt, Holly Marie (Other), Bui, Mai Thanh Thi (Other), Rygaard Gaspard, Brandi Renea (Other), Ford, Lucinda Louise (Other). Collaborative Research: Middle School Students' Graphing From the Ground Up (MS-GGU), NSF, Federal, $293841. (Submitted: October 2021, Funded: June 2022 - May 2025). Grant.
- Lee, Hwa Young (Principal), Hardison, Hamilton Lee (Supporting). Undergraduate elementary prospective teachers' conceptions of angle measure: A study of an intervention, REP, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: January 2020 - May 31, 2021). Grant.
- Lee, Hwa Young. Constructing spatial coordinate systems: A study of undergraduate elementary pre-service teachers, Texas State University, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 25, 2017, Funded: January 2018 - May 31, 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
September 1, 2018-August 31, 2020
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Reviewer / Referee
Cognition and Instruction