Faculty Profile for Dr. Hamilton Lee Hardison
Dr. Hamilton Lee Hardison
Assistant Professor — Mathematics
phone: (512) 245-4020
Biography and EducationDr. Hamilton L. Hardison has a Ph.D. in Mathematics Education from the University of Georgia. His primary research interests lie in investigating students' mathematical thinking. His current research focuses on modeling how students quantify angularity, how these quantifications change over time, and how they vary across contexts. His additional interests include studying mathematical classroom discourse and discussing radical constructivism.
Research InterestsStudents' Mathematical Thinking,
Quantifications of Angularity,
Mathematical Classroom Discourse
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Bishop, J. P., Hardison, H. L., & Przybyla-Kuchek, J. E. (2022). Responsiveness to students’ mathematical thinking in middle-grades classrooms. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 53(1), 10–40.
- Czocher, J. A., Hardison, H. L., & Kandasamy, S. S. S. (2022). A bridging study analyzing mathematical model construction through a quantities-oriented lens. Educational Studies in Mathematics.
- Czocher, J. A., & Hardison, H. L. (2021). Attending to Quantities through the Modelling Space. In Mathematical Modelling Education in East and West (pp. 263–272). Springer.
- Lee, H. Y., Hardison, H. L., & Paoletti, T. (2020). Foregrounding the Background: Two Uses of Coordinate Systems. For the Learning of Mathematics, 40(2), 32–37.
- Hardison, H. L., & Lee, H. Y. (2020). Funky Protractors for Exploring Angle Measure. Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12, 113(3), 229–232. https://doi.org/10.5951/MTLT.2019.0214
- Award / Honor Recipient: Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, TXST Mathematics Department. 2020
- Award / Honor Nominee: Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State Mathematics Department. November 2022
- Award / Honor Nominee: Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, TXST Mathematics Department. November 2021
- Award / Honor Nominee: Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, College of Science & Engineering. January 2021
- Award / Honor Nominee: Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, TXST Mathematics Department. 2019
- Lee, Hwa Young (Principal), Hardison, Hamilton Lee (Co-Principal), Zolt, Holly Marie (Other), Bui, Mai Thanh Thi (Other), Rygaard Gaspard, Brandi Renea (Other), Ford, Lucinda Louise (Other). Collaborative Research: Middle School Students' Graphing From the Ground Up (MS-GGU), NSF, Federal, $293841. (Submitted: October 2021, Funded: June 2022 - May 2025). Grant.
- Lee, Hwa Young (Principal), Hardison, Hamilton Lee (Supporting). Undergraduate elementary prospective teachers' conceptions of angle measure: A study of an intervention, REP, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: January 2020 - May 31, 2021). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Mathematics Education Seminar
Reviewer / Referee
Investigations in Mathematics Learning
Reviewer / Referee
Annual Conference of the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
Program and Curriculum Committee