Faculty Profile for Dr. Matthew Bishop
Dr. Matthew Bishop
Assistant Professor — Dept of Health & Human Performance
phone: (512) 245-8304
Research InterestsMy research interests include improving sexual health outcomes among colleges students through the development, implementation, and evaluation of evidence-based strategies promoting biological, erotic, physical, emotional, social, and spiritual sex positivity.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Bishop, J. M., Real, F. J., McDonald, S. L., Klein, M., DeBlasio, D., Kahn, J. A., … Rosen, B. L. (2022). Evaluation of HPV Vaccine: Same Way, Same DayTM: A Pilot Study. Journal of Health Communication, 1–7. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2021.2021459
- Bishop, J. M., Rosen, B. L., Rojas-Guyler, L., Bernard, A., & Wilson, B. (2022). Intention to Use Novel Methods of Male Directed Contraception Among College Students. Journal of Sexual Health Psychology, 1(1), 11–29. https://doi.org/10.52547/JSHP.1.1.11
- Real, F. J., Rosen, B. L., Bishop, J. M., McDonald, S., DeBlasio, D., Kreps, G. L., … Kahn, J. A. (2021). Usability Evaluation of the Novel Smartphone Application, HPV Vaccine: Same Way, Same DayTM, Among Pediatric Residents. Academic Pediatrics, 21(4), 742–749. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2020.11.023
- Rosen, B. L., Bishop, J. M., Anderson, R., Real, F. J., Klein, M. D., & Kreps, G. L. (2019). A Content Analysis of HPV Vaccine Online Continuing Medical Education Purpose Statements and Learning Objectives. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, 15(7). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/21645515.2019.1587273
- Rosen, B. L., Bishop, J. M., McDonald, S. L., Kahn, J. A., & Kreps, G. L. (2018). Quality of Web-Based Educational Interventions for Clinicians on Human Papillomavirus Vaccine: Content and Usability Assessment. JMIR Cancer, 4(1). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.2196/cancer.9114
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award: The Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of Alpha Chi Honor Society. 2022 - Present
- Real, Francis J., Rosen, Brittany, Bishop, James M (Supporting). Usability and Impact Evaluation of HPV Vaccine: Same Way, Same Day: APP E-Learning in Medical Education Grant, Academic Pediatric Association, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $6000. (Funded: 2018). Grant.
- Bishop, James M, Rosen, Brittany. Using the Theory of Planned Behavior to Predict Intentions in Sexual Communication and MFC Adoption in College Students, University of Cincinnati, Institutional (Higher Ed), $1000. (Funded: 2017). Grant.
- Bishop, James M, Wiley, David, Housman, Jeff, Oestreich, Jo Beth. Big Decisions: Factors Influencing Curriculum Fidelity of a Sexuality Education Curriculum in Public Schools, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $500. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Scholars Day Committee, Department of Health and Human Performance, Texas State University
Eta Sigma Gamma National Health Education Honorary, Delta Chi chapter, Texas State University
Society for Behavioral Medicine
Reviewer / Referee
Sexuality, Gender, & Policy
American Academy of Health Behavior