Faculty Profile for Dr. Kate Melhuish
Dr. Kate Melhuish
Associate Professor — Mathematics
phone: (512) 245-9969
Biography and EducationDr. Melhuish's primary area of research is related to teaching, learning, and assessment in proof-based mathematics. They have worked on a number instrument development projects, studies of conceptual thinking in modern algebra, and projects aimed at promoting improving proof-based courses with attention to authentic activity and inclusive environments. Dr. Melhuish served as PI on three NSF grants and co-PI on three others.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Melhuish, K. M., Thanheiser, E., White, A., Rosencrans, B., Foreman, L., Shaughnessy, J. M., … Riffel, A. (2022). The Efficacy of a “Mathematics for All” Professional Development. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 53(4), 307–333.
- Weber, K., & Melhuish, K. M. (2022). Can We Engage Students in Authentic Mathematical Activity While Embracing Critical Pedagogy? A Commentary on the Tensions Between Disciplinary Activity and Critical Education. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education.
- Czocher, J. A., Melhuish, K. M., Kularajan, S. S. K., & Roan, E. A. (2021). Dual Measures of Mathematical Modeling for Engineering and other STEM Undergraduates. International Journal for Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education.
- Johnson, E., Andrews-Larson, C., Keene, K., Melhuish, K. M., Fortune, N., & Rachel Keller. (2020). Inquiry and Inequity in the Undergraduate Mathematics Classroom. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 51(4), 504–516.
- Melhuish, K. M., Ellis, B., & Hicks, M. D. (2020). Group Theory Students’ Perceptions of Binary Operation. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 103(1), 63–81.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Excellence Award. 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, Assistant Professor/Senior Lecturer/Lecturer rank. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Seminar Award. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Valero Award for Excellence. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Research Excellence Award. December 2019
- Melhuish, Kathleen Mary (Principal), Lew, Kristen Marie (Co-Principal), Sigley, Robert (Other), Morey, Susan (Supporting), Dawkins, Paul Christian (Co-Principal), Bishop, Jessica Lynn (Supporting). Orchestrating Discussions Around Proof, National Science Foundation, Federal, $299847. (Submitted: May 1, 2018, Funded: November 1, 2018 - October 31, 2022). Grant.
- Mejía-Ramos, Juan Pablo (Principal), Lew, Kristen Marie (Co-Principal), Melhuish, Kathleen Mary (Co-Principal), Weber, Keith (Co-Principal), Gitomer, Drew (Co-Principal). Developing and Validating Proof Comprehension Tests in Real Analysis, National Science Foundation, Federal, $600000. (Submitted: December 13, 2017, Funded: October 1, 2018 - September 30, 2023). Grant.
- Melhuish, Kathleen Mary (Principal), Heaton, Ruth (Co-Principal), Thanheiser, Eva (Co-Principal), Strickland, Sharon K (Co-Principal), Sorto, Maria Alejandra (Co-Principal), Ellis, Brittney Marie (Co-Principal). Using Technology to Capture Classroom Interactions: The Design, Validation, and Dissemination of a Formative Assessment of Instruction Tool for Diverse K-8 Mathematics Classrooms, NSF, Federal, $1984657. (Submitted: November 2, 2017, Funded: September 4, 2018 - August 31, 2023). Grant.
- Melhuish, Kathleen Mary (Co-Principal), Foreman, Linda (Principal), Fredericks, Julie (Co-Principal), Thanheiser, Eva (Co-Principal), Shaughnessy, J.Michael (Co-Principal). Enhancing Mathematics Teaching and Learning in Urban Elementary Schools: A Cluster-Randomized Efficacy Trial of a Novel Professional Development Approach, NSF, Federal, $2488354.00. (Funded: September 1, 2013 - August 31, 2017). Grant.
- Melhuish, Kathleen Mary, Ellis, Brittney Marie, Patterson, Cody Lynn, Strickland, Sharon K. Structuring Equitable Participation in Undergraduate Proof, National Science Foundation, Federal, $600000. (Submitted: July 2022, Funded: January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2025). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
October 1, 2021-Present
SUPER in Math
Mathematics Education Seminar
September 2017-December 2021
Coordinator / Organizer
OK-TX RUME Conference
Coordinator / Organizer
Mentoring & Partnerships for Women in RUME
August 2016-May 2018