Faculty Profile for Dr. Vaughn Bryan Baltzly
Biography and EducationVaughn B. Baltzly is an assistant professor of philosophy at Texas State University. After completing graduate studies in philosophy and public policy, and before coming to Texas State, Vaughn spent six years employed by the U.S. federal government, working in both the executive and legislative branches.
Teaching InterestsPolitical Philosophy and Political Economy (i.e., Philosophy, Politics, and Economics)
Research InterestsContemporary political philosophy (particularly accounts of "liberal neutrality") and applied ethics
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Baltzly, V. B. (2021). Trolleyology as First Philosophy: A Puzzle-Centered Approach to Introducing the Discipline. Teaching Philosophy, 44(4), 407–448. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.5840/teachphil202141143
- Baltzly, V. B. (2020). The Interpersonal Variability of Gustatory Sensation and the Prospects for an Alimentary Aesthetics. Intervalla: Platform for Intellectual Exchange, 7(1), 6–16. Retrieved from https://www.fus.edu/intervalla/volume-7-questions-of-taste
- Baltzly, V. B. (2020). Concerning Publicized Goods (Or, the Promiscuity of the Public Goods Argument). Economics and Philosophy, 37(3), 376–394. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0266267120000395
- Baltzly, V. B. (2014). “Four Strikes for Pluralist Liberalism (and Two Cheers for Classical Liberalism).” Journal of Value Inquiry, 48(3).
- Baltzly, V. B. (2012). “Same-sex Marriage, Polygamy, and Disestablishment.” Social Theory and Practice, 38(2).
- Award / Honor Recipient: Lenssen Prize, American Association of Philosophy Teachers. March 18, 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award, Spring 2019, Alpha Chi National Honor Society, Texas State chapter. April 9, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Rockefeller Prize, American Philosophical Association. December 29, 2014
Selected Service Activities
September 1, 2021-Present
San Marcos High School Orchestra Boosters Club
University Leadership Assembly
Philosophy Department Undergraduate Education Committee
Department of Philosophy Graduate Education Committee