Faculty Profile for Dr. Jessica Lynn Bishop
Dr. Jessica Lynn Bishop
Associate Professor — Mathematics
phone: (512) 245-2066
Biography and EducationJessica Pierson Bishop is a mathematics educator at Texas State University. Dr Bishop completed her PhD in mathematics education at the University of Texas, has both her undergraduate and master's degrees in mathematics, and is a certified secondary teacher. Before joining the faculty at Texas State University in the Fall of 2016, Jessica was a faculty member at San Diego State University and the University of Georgia. She also taught high school mathematics in Dallas for four years. Jessica has taught a wide range of university courses, but her primary work has been with practicing and prospective mathematics teachers to help equip them to better attend to and support their students' mathematical thinking. Jessica's research interests are concentrated in two areas: research on classroom discourse and research investigating children's mathematical thinking.
Research InterestsMathematics classroom discourse, Discourse analysis, Children's mathematical thinking (integers), Teacher education
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Bishop, J. P., Hardison, H. L., & Przybyla-Kuchek, J. E. (2022). Responsiveness to students’ mathematical thinking in middle-grades classrooms. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 53(1), 10–40.
- Bishop, J. P. (2021). Responsiveness and intellectual work: Features of mathematics classroom discourse related to student achievement. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 30(3), 466–508. https://doi.org/10.1080/10508406.2021.1922413
- Lamb, L. L., Bishop, J. P., Philipp, R. A., Whitacre, I., & Schappelle, B. P. (2018). A cross-sectional investigation of students’ reasoning about integer addition and subtraction: Ways of reasoning, problem types, and flexibility. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 49(5), 575–613.
- Bishop, J. P., Lamb, L. L., Philipp, R. A., Whitacre, I., Schappelle, B. P., & Lewis, M. L. (2014). Obstacles and affordances for integer reasoning: An analysis of children’s thinking and the history of mathematics. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 45(1), 19–61.
- Bishop, J. P. (2012). “She’s always been the smart one. I’ve always been the dumb one”: Identities in the mathematics classroom. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 43(1), 34–74.
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching at the Professor/Associate Professor Level, College of Science and Engineering. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Service at the Professor/Associate Professor Level, College of Science and Engineering. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activity at the Professor/Associate Professor Level, College of Science and Engineering. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Reviewer 2017, Journal for Research in Mathematics Education. October 2018
- Bishop, Jessica P.. MCA: Toward analyses of mathematics classroom discourse at scale using tools from applied mathematics, National Science Foundation, Federal, $351072. (Submitted: February 2022, Funded: January 1, 2023 - Present). Grant.
- Melhuish, Kathleen Mary (Principal), Lew, Kristen Marie (Co-Principal), Sigley, Robert (Other), Morey, Susan (Supporting), Dawkins, Paul Christian (Co-Principal), Bishop, Jessica Lynn (Supporting). Orchestrating Discussions Around Proof, National Science Foundation, Federal, $299847. (Submitted: May 1, 2018, Funded: November 1, 2018 - October 31, 2022). Grant.
- Bishop, Jessica P. (Principal). CAREER: Characterizing Critical Aspects of Mathematics Classroom Discourse, National Science Foundation: Faculty Early Career Development [CAREER] Program, Federal, $672846. (Funded: June 2012 - May 31, 2020). Grant.
- Bishop, Jessica P. (Co-Principal). Mapping Developmental Trajectories of Students' Conceptions of Integers, National Science Foundation, Discovery Research K-12 (DRK-12), Federal, $1684316. (Funded: 2009 - 2014). Grant.
- Bishop, Jessica P. (Supporting). Studying Teachers’ Evolving Perspectives: A Cross-Sectional Snapshot of Teachers Engaged in Sustained Professional Development Focused on Children's Mathematical Thinking, National Science Foundation, Federal, $2500000. (Funded: 2005 - 2010). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
Mathematical Thinking and Learning
Advisory Board Member
Building on MOSTs: Investigating productive use of high-leverage student mathematical thinking, National Science Foundation (NSF) Discovery Research K-12 (DRK-12)
Theorizing and Advancing Teachers’ Responsive Decision Making in the Domain of Rational Numbers, National Science Foundation (NSF) Discovery Research K-12 (DRK-12)
Grant Panel Member
National Science Foundation
Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Division C (Learning), Mathematics, 2010 Annual Meeting