Faculty Profile for Kate Glasheen-Dentino
Biography and EducationKate Glasheen is an actor, voiceover artist, dialect coach, and voice & speech specialist. She teaches vocal health and production, verse and scansion, text analysis, the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), and dialects. Professionally, she has coached at major regional theaters including the Tony Award Winning Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park and Actors Theatre of Louisville. Additional regional credits include Ensemble Theatre Cincinnati, the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company, and The Know Theatre among others. International coaching credits include London theaters Upstairs at the Gatehouse, Peut-Etre Theatre, Dante or Die, and Riverside Studios. Kate has taught at the University of Cincinnati-College Conservatory of Music (CCM), Webster University, Millikin University, and The City Literary Institute in London, England. She has also taught vocal workshops for Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, Actors Theatre of Louisville, and the Rose Theatre, Kingston in London, England. In addition to her own research, Kate is currently studying to be a certified teacher of the Alba Method. She has served as Associate Editor of Reviews & Sources for the Voice & Speech Trainers Association's scholarly journal The Voice & Speech Review for over six years.
Research Interests-Using acting pedagogy to teach empathy across multiple disciplines.
-Investigating the differences in breathing requirements for
singing and dance and creating a technique which bridges the "breath gap" for musical theatre performers.
-Semiotic significance of stage dialects within a production.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Dialect Coach, The Importance of Being Ernest.
November 2, 2020 - November 19, 2020.
- Austin Shakespeare 2020-2021 Season. November 19, 2020 - November 22, 2020 Zoom Production.
- Actor, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.
December 2, 2019 - January 19, 2020.
- The Public Theater of San Antonio. December 27, 2019 - January 19, 2020 Cellar Theater, San Antonio, TX.
- Dialect and Voice Coaching, Cardboard Piano.
March 2016 - April 2016.
- Humana Festival of New Plays. March 25, 2016 - April 10, 2016 Actors Theater of Louisville - Victor Jory Theatre, Louisville, KY.
- Dialect and Voice Coaching, The Secret Garden.
August 2015 - September 2015.
- Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park 2015-2016 Season. September 5, 2015 - October 3, 2015 Marx Theater, Cincinnati, OH.
- Centerstage 2015-2016 Season. October 30, 2015 - November 29, 2015 Centerstage, Baltimore, MD.
- Dialect and Voice Coaching, Tribes.
October 2014 - November 2014.
- Actors Theater of Louisville 2014-2015 Season. November 11, 2014 - December 7, 2014 Actors Theater of Louisville - Bingham Theater, Louisville, KY.
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award, Texas State University. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: VASTA Annual Service Award, Voice & Speech Trainers Association (VASTA). August 22, 2020 - 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: VSR Rocco Dal Vera Graduate Research Award, VASTA, The Voice & Speech Trainers Association. April 2, 2018 - 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: DayTony Award of Excellence - A Flea in Her Ear, Dialects, The DayTony Awards. August 9, 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Choreography - Will Rogers Follies, Broadway World Cincinnati. January 12, 2014
- Glasheen-Dentino, Kathryn Pleasant (Principal), McAllister, Matthew J (Co-Principal). Polyvagal Theory and the Alba Method: Enhancing Mental Wellness through Emotional Effector Patterns, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $13446. (Funded: January 1, 2021 - May 1, 2022). Grant.
- Glasheen-Dentino, Kathryn Pleasant (Principal). Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $6400. (Funded: January 1, 2018 - May 31, 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Faculty Search Committee
November 2, 2021-April 15, 2022
Tenure & Promotion Support Group
September 1, 2022-Present
University Performing Arts Committee
June 29, 2022-Present
Voice and Speech Trainers Association (VASTA)
August 10, 2020-Present
Mental Wellness Committee