Faculty Profile for Kate Glasheen-Dentino
Biography and EducationKate Glasheen is an actor, voiceover artist, dialect coach, and voice & speech specialist. She teaches vocal health and production, verse and scansion, text analysis, the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), Voiceover, and Dialects. Professionally, she has coached at major regional theaters including the Tony Award Winning Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park and Actors Theatre of Louisville. Additional regional credits include Ensemble Theatre Cincinnati, the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company, The Know Theatre, and the ZACH Theatre among others. International coaching credits include London theaters Upstairs at the Gatehouse, Peut-Etre Theatre, Dante or Die, and Riverside Studios. Kate has taught at the University of Cincinnati-College Conservatory of Music (CCM), Webster University, Millikin University, and The City Literary Institute in London, England. She has also taught vocal workshops for Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, Actors Theatre of Louisville, and the Rose Theatre, Kingston in London, England. Kate's original research explores the potential for existing acting methods to be used to support actor health and wellbeing. She served as Associate Editor of Reviews & Sources for the Voice & Speech Trainers Association's scholarly journal The Voice & Speech Review for ten years and co-founded the VASTA special interest group, HealthCore.
Research Interests-Using acting pedagogy to teach empathy across multiple disciplines.
-Investigating the differences in breathing requirements for
singing and dance and creating a technique which bridges the "breath gap" for musical theatre performers.
-Semiotic significance of stage dialects within a production.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Actor, The Real Thing.
January 16, 2023 - March 5, 2023.
- Austin Shakespeare 2022-2023 Season. February 17, 2023 - March 5, 2023 The Rollins Theater at The Long Center, Austin, TX.
- Vocal/Acting Coach, The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Diety.
September 24, 2022 - September 27, 2022.
- ZACH Theater 2022-2023 Season. September 28, 2022 - October 23, 2022 ZACH Topfer Theater, Austin, TX.
- Dialect and Voice Coaching, Cardboard Piano.
March 2016 - April 2016.
- Humana Festival of New Plays. March 25, 2016 - April 10, 2016 Actors Theater of Louisville - Victor Jory Theatre, Louisville, KY.
- Dialect and Voice Coaching, The Secret Garden.
August 2015 - September 2015.
- Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park 2015-2016 Season. September 5, 2015 - October 3, 2015 Marx Theater, Cincinnati, OH.
- Centerstage 2015-2016 Season. October 30, 2015 - November 29, 2015 Centerstage, Baltimore, MD.
- Dialect and Voice Coaching, Tribes.
October 2014 - November 2014.
- Actors Theater of Louisville 2014-2015 Season. November 11, 2014 - December 7, 2014 Actors Theater of Louisville - Bingham Theater, Louisville, KY.
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award, Texas State University. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: VASTA Annual Service Award, Voice & Speech Trainers Association (VASTA). August 22, 2020 - 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: VSR Rocco Dal Vera Graduate Research Award, VASTA, The Voice & Speech Trainers Association. April 2, 2018 - 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: DayTony Award of Excellence - A Flea in Her Ear, Dialects, The DayTony Awards. August 9, 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Choreography - Will Rogers Follies, Broadway World Cincinnati. January 12, 2014
- Glasheen-Dentino, Kathryn Pleasant (Principal), McAllister, Matthew J (Co-Principal). Polyvagal Theory and the Alba Method: Enhancing Mental Wellness through Emotional Effector Patterns, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $13446. (Funded: January 1, 2021 - May 1, 2022). Grant.
- Glasheen-Dentino, Kathryn Pleasant (Principal). Negotiating the Contrary Craft of the Triple Threat, Texas State University, $6400. (Funded: January 1, 2018 - May 31, 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Faculty Search Committee - Asst. Professor of Film
November 2, 2021-April 15, 2022
Faculty Search Committee - Asst. Professor of Acting
Tenure & Promotion Support Group
September 1, 2022-Present
University Performing Arts Committee
June 29, 2022-Present
Voice and Speech Trainers Association (VASTA)
August 10, 2020-Present