Faculty Profile for Dr. Shuying Sun
Dr. Shuying Sun
Associate Professor — Mathematics
MCS MCS 571
phone: (512) 245-3422
Biography and EducationDr. Sun received her Ph.D. in statistics from the University of Toronto in Canada. She is currently an associate professor in the Department of Mathematics, Texas State University. She has interests in statistical genetics and bioinformatics and has published > 30 peer-reviewed research articles in high-impact journals. Dr. Sun and her students have been addressing challenging genetic and epigenetic questions using statistical and computational tools with a focus on cancer methylation data analysis. She has also been developing statistical methodologies and software packages for bioinformatic problems using Bayesian methods, hidden Markov models, Markov Chain Monte Carlo algorithms, and linear models.
Research InterestsStatistical genetics and bioinformatics.
Dr. Sun's google scholar citation:
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Sun, S., Cheng, F., Han, D., Wei, S., Zhong, A., Massoudian, S., & Johnson, A. B. (2022). Pairwise comparative analysis of six haplotype assembly methods based on users’ experience (Submitted to BMC Genomics Data in June 2022).
- Sun, S., & Zamora, R. (2022). Mcperturb: A new 5-step perturbation-based multicollinearity diagnostic package (Submitted to Communications in Statistics-Simulation and Computation in April 2022).
- Sun, S., Dammann, J., Lai, P., & Tian, C. (2022). Thorough statistical analyses of breast cancer co-methylation patterns. BMC Genomics Data, 23(1), Page 1-23.
- Sun, S., & Zamora, R. (2021, December). Mcperturb (software package): https://github.com/ss355/mcperturb.
- Sun, S., Zane, A., Fulton, C., & Philipoom, J. (2021). Statistical and bioinformatic analysis of hemimethylation patterns in non-small cell lung cancer. BMC Cancer, 21. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-021-07990-7
- Award / Honor Recipient: Research Excellence Award, Department of Mathematics, Texas State University, Texas State University. December 6, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University. August 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Named/recognized by 3 undergraduate students as a person at Texas State University who made a contribution to their academic career (in 2015, 2016, and 2019). 2015 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Research Enhancement Program Award (2014, 2016, 2018, 2021, 2023), Texas State University. January 1, 2014 - May 31, 2024
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Excellence Award, Department of Mathematics, Texas State University (12/2022), Texas State University. December 2, 2022
- Yang, Yong (Principal), Keller, Thomas M (Co-Principal), Sun, Shuying (Supporting), Zhao, Qiang (Supporting), Dochtermann, Anton (Supporting), Oh, Suho (Supporting). REU Site: Algebra, Combinatorics, and Statistics, NSF, Federal, $305417. (Submitted: August 2021, Funded: March 1, 2022 - February 28, 2025). Grant.
- Sun, Shuying (Principal). Texas State University Research Enhancement Program (REP) Award (2023), Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2022, Funded: January 1, 2023 - May 31, 2024). Grant.
- Sun, Shuying (Supporting), Hunter, Stacy (Principal). NIH-R21 Yoga & Hypertension: Effects of Practice Temperature on Mechanistic Outcomes, Federal, $408493. (Funded: December 1, 2021 - November 30, 2023). Grant.
- Sun, Shuying (Principal). Texas State University Research Enhancement Program (REP) Award (2021), Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 9, 2020, Funded: January 2021 - May 31, 2022). Grant.
- Sun, Shuying (Supporting), Yang, Yong (Principal), Keller, Tomas (Co-Principal), Zhao, Qiang (Supporting), Oh, Suho (Supporting), Dochtermann, Anton (Supporting). NSF REU Site: Algebra, Combinatorics, and Statistics, Federal, $269696. (Funded: September 1, 2018 - August 31, 2021). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Served as an Associate Editor (by invitation) of Cancer Genetics (specialty section of Frontiers in Oncology and Frontiers in Genetics)
Served as a mentor for the following tenure-track faculty: Xiaoxi Shen
The scheduling oversight committee
Math PhD (Proposal) Committee (09/2018 – 05/2019 and 09/2020 - present)
Served as an associate doctoral faculty for the Materials Science, Engineering & Commercialization (MSEC) Ph.D. program