Faculty Profile for Dr. Sharon K Strickland
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Milewski, A., Strickland, S. K., Buchbinder, O., Chazan, D., & Herbst, P. (2021). Moves teachers use to respond to students’ non-canonical approaches for solving equations. In Proceedings of the Forty-third annual meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME-NA).
- Milewski, A., & Strickland, S. K. (2020). Building on the work of teachers: Adding a functional lens to a teacher-generated framework for describing the instructional practices of responding. Linguistics & Education, 57(June 2020). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.linged.2020.100816
- Strickland, S. K., & Rand, B. (2016). Learning Proof-Writing: Applying English Composition Pedagogical Strategies to Undergraduate Mathematics. In R. Schwell, A. Steurer, & J. F. Vasquez (Eds.), Beyond Lecture: Resources and Pedagogical Techniques to Improve Student Proof-Writing Across the Curriculum. Mathematical Association of America. Retrieved from https://www.maa.org/press/ebooks/beyond-lecture
- Strickland, S. K. (2016). Who Counts as a Mathematician? In D. Y. White, S. Crespo, & M. Civil (Eds.), Cases for Teacher Educators: Facilitating Conversations about Inequities in Mathematics Classrooms. Reston NJ: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Milewski, A., & Strickland, S. K. (2016). (Toward) Developing a common language for describing instructional practices of responding: A teacher-generated framework. Mathematics Teacher Educator.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Excellence Award, Department of Mathematics. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Awards (Teaching), College of Science & Engineering. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Excellence Award, Department of Mathematics. 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: College of Science & Engineering Nominee to the Presidential Award for Teaching Excellence. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Excellence Award, Department of Mathematics. 2015
- Czocher, Jennifer Ann, White, Alexander (Supporting), Strickland, Sharon K (Supporting). CAREER: Scaffolding Strategies for Undergraduate Mathematical Modeling Skills, NSF, Federal, $954500. (Submitted: July 2017, Funded: September 2018 - August 2023). Grant.
- Melhuish, Kathleen Mary (Principal), Heaton, Ruth (Co-Principal), Thanheiser, Eva (Co-Principal), Strickland, Sharon K (Co-Principal), Sorto, Maria Alejandra (Co-Principal), Ellis, Brittney Marie (Co-Principal). Using Technology to Capture Classroom Interactions: The Design, Validation, and Dissemination of a Formative Assessment of Instruction Tool for Diverse K-8 Mathematics Classrooms, NSF, Federal, $1984657. (Submitted: November 2, 2017, Funded: September 4, 2018 - August 31, 2023). Grant.
- Strickland, Sharon K (Principal). MAA Tensor Women in Mathematics, $6000. (Funded: February 2010). Grant.
- Melhuish, Kathleen Mary, Ellis, Brittney Marie, Patterson, Cody Lynn, Strickland, Sharon K. Structuring Equitable Participation in Undergraduate Proof, National Science Foundation, Federal, $600000. (Submitted: July 2022, Funded: January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2025). Grant.
- Warshauer, Max (Principal), Strickland, Sharon K (Supporting). Mathworks Algebra Program, Sid W. Richardson Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $108000. (Funded: 2012 - 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Graduate Program Committee
Tenure-Track Faculty Mentor, Robert Sigley
Reviewer / Referee
Mathematics Teacher Educator
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of STEM Education