Faculty Profile for Dr. Jitendra Tate
Biography and EducationDr. Tate is a mechanical engineer by training. He earned BS and MS degrees in Mechanical engineering from the University of Pune, India, in 1990 and 1996, respectively. He has nine years of teaching experience in India before joining Ph.D. program in the USA in 2000. He obtained Ph.D. degree in Mechanical engineering specializing in Mechanics and Materials from NC A&T SU in 2004. After one year of a Research Associate position at NC A&T SU, Dr. Tate joined Texas State in the fall of 2005. He has 25-plus years of academic and two years of industry experience. He has provided consultation to many private companies and has numerous funding from federal and private entities. He is well known for his expertise in advanced composite materials and nanotechnology safety.
Dr. Tate is a recipient of a prestigious national teaching award, The Educator of the Year 2020 and 2009, by the ‘Society of Plastics Engineers’ Composites Division.
At Texas State, he received the Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Service in 2020, Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2018, and College Achievement Awards for Excellence in Teaching in 2019 and 2009.
Dr. Tate is a member of AIAA, ASME, ACMA, SPE, and SAMPE. He is a faculty advisor of the SAMPE Student Chapter and serves as a member of the Board of Directors at SAMPE North America. He served as Technical Chair of CAMX 2020 International Conference and Technical co-Chair of the SAMPE 2021 International Conference.
Teaching InterestsPolymers Properties and Processing, Composite Materials, Materials engineering, Polymer Nanocomposites, Design of Machine Elements, and Mechanics of Materials.
Research InterestsDr. Jitendra S. Tate, professor of manufacturing engineering at Texas State University, has established safe handling practices for industrial (such as nanoclay) and engineered (such as carbon nanotubes) nanoparticles in his research and teaching, dealing with advanced polymer nanocomposites. His research areas include developing, manufacturing, and characterizing the high-performance polymeric thermoplastics and thermoset nanocomposites for Thermal Protection Systems (TPS), rocket ablatives, fire-retardant interior structures of mass transit and aircraft, lighter and damage-tolerant wind turbine blades, fiber-reinforced high-temperature composites, replacement of traditional composites using bio-based materials, sustainable composites from renewable resources, cellulose nanofibers, conductive/magnetic/high-temperature polymers for 3D printing, nanotechnology education, and nanotechnology safety.
He served as Principal Investigator of NSF-NUE grant 'NanoTRA-Texas Regional Alliance to Foster Nanotechnology Environment, Health, and Safety Awareness in Tomorrow’s Engineering and Technology Leaders', 2013-15. He served as Principal Investigator of a prestigious NASA STTR Phase I project on high-temperature materials.
Dr. Tate has acquired $632k in external funding as Principal Investigator and another $1.58M as co-Principal Investigator and Senior Collaborator. His external funding is from NSF, NASA, Jacobs Engineering, Evonik Corporation, KAI LLC, and Applied Nanotech.
Dr. Tate has 119 peer-reviewed articles published, of which 36 were journal articles and 83 full-length peer-reviewed conference papers. He has presented his research at 50-plus conference presentations. he has edited one book and written four book chapters.
He has been a major supervisor on 1 Ph.D. dissertation and 16 theses. He is currently supervising 1 Ph.D. and 4 MS students. He has served on numerous theses' committees.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Henderson, L., Zamora, S., Ahmed, T. N., Belduque Correa, M. C., Tate, J. S., Chen, Y., & Geerts, W. J. (2021). Altering Magnetic Properties of Iron Filament PLA Using Magnetic Field Assisted Additive Manufacturing (MFAAM). Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 538. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2021.168320
- Ahmed, T., Selsor, C., Tate, J., & Geerts, W. J. (n.d.). Magnetic Behavior and Chaining of Strontium Ferrite-Nylon Composite Above the Melting Temperature. In AIP Advances. American Institute of Physics.
- Arigbabowo, O. K., Tate, J. S., & Omer, L. (2022). Fused Filament Fabrication of Polyamide 6 Nanographene Composite for Electrostatic Discharge Applications. Materials Science and Engineering B, 287(2023). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mseb.2022.116086
- Panta, S., Mannan, M. I., Taqy, S. A. A., Martinez, B., Davis, L., Bomar, R., & Tate, J. S. (2022). Comparison of Mechanical and Morphological Properties of AMEO And GLYMO Silane Treated Ragweed-PLA Biocomposites (pp. 633–652). Diamond Bar, CA, USA: CAMX – The Composites and Advanced Materials Expo. Retrieved from https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxauyt49y1t56jk/CAMX%202022%20Proceedings%20Completed.pdf?dl=0
- Khadka, M., Imtiaz Khan, M. J., Sargordi, A., Woods, R., Belduque, M. C. C., & Tate, J. S. (2022). Mechanical Properties of Extruded PA12 and SrFe12O19 Filaments Via Twin-Screw Extrusion for Magnetic Field Assisted Fused Filament Fabrication (pp. 830–848). Diamond Bar, CA, USA: CAMX – The Composites and Advanced Materials Expo. Retrieved from https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxauyt49y1t56jk/CAMX%202022%20Proceedings%20Completed.pdf?dl=0
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching 2019, College of Science and Engineering, Texas State University. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Teaching 2018, Texas State University. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Technical Co-Chair, International SAMPE Conference 2021, SAMPE: Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering. April 2020 - May 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Service 2020, Texas State University. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Technical Chair, International CAMX (The Composites and Advanced Materials Expo) Conference 2020, SAMPE: Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering. September 2019 - October 2020
- Ameri, Farhad, Khaleghian, Seyedmeysam (Co-Principal), Tate, Jitendra S (Supporting), Trueba, Luis (Supporting), You, Byoung Hee (Supporting), Song, In-Hyouk (Supporting), Jimenez, Jesus (Supporting), Chen, Heping (Supporting), Emami, Anahita (Supporting). REU Site: Multidisciplinary Research Experience in Advance Manufacturing for Undergraduates, National Science Foundation (NSF), Federal, $396737. (Funded: May 1, 2021 - August 1, 2024). Grant.
- Tate, Jitendra S (Principal), Fazarro, Dominick (Co-Principal), Dutta, S. (Co-Principal), Hanks, C. (Co-Principal), McClean, R (Supporting). NSF-REU, NanoTRA- Texas Regional Alliance to Foster Nanotechnology Environment, Health, and Safety Awareness in Tomorrow’s Engineering and Technology Leaders, National Science Foundation, Federal, $5992. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Tate, Jitendra S (Principal), Fazarro, Dominick (Co-Principal), Dutta, S. (Co-Principal), Hanks, C. (Co-Principal), McClean, R. (Supporting). NSF-RET, NanoTRA- Texas Regional Alliance to Foster Nanotechnology Environment, Health, and Safety Awareness in Tomorrow’s Engineering and Technology Leaders, National Science Foundation, Federal, $9979. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Asiabanpour, Bahram (Principal), Tate, Jitendra S (Co-Principal). Upgrade of the RFM 1239+RFM1235+RFM1251+RFM1218 Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Rapid Manufacturing, Automated Systems, and Composite Materials labs to provide better data storage, memory, and processing performance, Texas State University, Texas State University, $14224. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Kulinowski, K M (Principal), Trybula, W. (Co-Principal), Tate, Jitendra (Supporting). Developing training modules on the safe handling of nano materials, FY 2010 Susan Harwood Targeted Topic Grants, OSHA, Federal, $236000. (Funded: 2010). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
University Lab Safety Committee
MSEC PhD Admissions Committee
Shared Research Operations (SRO) Advisory Committee
President of Nonprofit Organization
Maharashtra Majha Dhol Tasha Pathak- Indian Drummers