Faculty Profile for Dr. Karl Stephan
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Shmatov, M. L., & Stephan, K. D. (2019). Advances in Ball Lightning Research. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 195, 105115. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jastp.2019.105115
- Shmatov, M., & Stephan, K. (2022). Questions regarding alleged laboratory creation of ball lightning.
- Stephan, K., Sonnenfeld, R., & Keul, A. G. (2022). First comparisons of ball-lightning report website data with lightning-location-network data.
- Stephan, K., & Shmatov, M. L. (2021). Hazards to aircraft crews, passengers, and equipment from thunderstorm-generated X-rays and gamma-rays. Radiation, 1(3), 162–173. Retrieved from https://www.mdpi.com/2673-592X/1/3/15
- Cameron, R. P., Löffler, W., & Stephan, K. D. (2021). Theoretical proposal for the experimental realisation of a monochromatic electromagnetic knot. Journal of Optics (IOP), 23, 064006. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1088/2040-8986/abfc33
- Chen, Yihong (Principal), Droopad, Ravindranath (Co-Principal), Stern, Harold P, Stephan, Karl, Tate, Jitendra S, Geerts, Wilhelmus J, Shi, Xijun. Acquisition of Wide Frequency Band Characterization System for Electronic Devices, Antennas, and Intelligent Materials, DOD, Federal, $548700. (Submitted: August 16, 2021, Funded: August 1, 2022 - July 31, 2023). Grant.
- Stephan, Karl D (Principal). Investigation of Novel Propagation Modes in Plasma-Enclosed Waveguide, Julian Schwinger Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $50000. (Submitted: April 1, 2016, Funded: December 11, 2017 - December 11, 2019). Grant.
- Stephan, Karl. Research Enhancement Grant, Development and Test of a Steam Plasma Jet for Biodecontamination, $8000. (Submitted: October 2013, Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Stephan, Karl. Research Enhancement Grant, Production and Analysis of Hydrogen Spectra in Water-Bearing Plasmoids, $8000. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Stephan, Karl. Research Enhancement Grant, Large-area atmospheric-pressure glow plasmas formed with natural and artificial dielectrics, $8000. (Funded: 2009). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
College of Science and Engineering Research Enhancement Program Committee
September 2021-December 2021
College Research Enhancement Grant Committee
Ingram School of Engineering Personnel Committee
January 2013-August 2015
Electrical Engineering Program Advisor
Ingram School of Engineering
September 2012-August 2015
Board of Directors of the National Institute for Engineering Ethics