Faculty Profile for Dr. Kyong H Chee
Biography and EducationKyong Hee Chee is a Professor of Sociology and an Honorary Professor of International Studies at Texas State University. She has a BFA and an MBA, and received her MS and PhD in Sociology from Iowa State University with specializations in aging/life course, family, and community. Before joining Texas State in 2006, she taught at Georgia Southern University where she was an Assistant Professor of Sociology and the Director of the Center for Social Gerontology. At Texas State, she contributed to the creation of the Master of Science in Dementia and Aging Studies Program (MSDA) and currently serves as the Director of this fully online, interdisciplinary program, ranked 10th among online gerontology programs in the United States.
Teaching InterestsAging, life course, dementia, and gender
Research InterestsDementia, elder care, social engagement, community-based health intervention programs, and evaluation research
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Kim, E. H., Chee, K. H., DeStefano, C., Broome, A., & Bell, B. (2021). Retention in Intergenerational Exercise Classes for Older Adults: A Mixed-Method Research Study. Educational Gerontology, 47(6), 269–284.
- Pan, X., & Chee, K. H. (2020). The Power of Weak Ties in Preserving Cognition: A Longitudinal Study of Older Chinese Adults. Aging & Mental Health, 24(7), 1046–1053. https://doi.org/DOI:10.1080/13607863.2019.1597015
- Lee, H. J., & Chee, K. H. (2020). “Without Feeling Guilty”: Filial Piety and Eldercare in Twenty-First-Century Korea. In J. L. Shea & H. Zhang (Eds.), Beyond Filial Piety: Rethinking Aging and Eldercare in Contemporary East Asian Societies. Oxford and New York: Berghahn Publishers.
- Amini, R., Chee, K. H., Mendieta, M., & Parker, S. (2019). Online Engagement and Cognitive Function among Senior Adults. Geriatrics & Gerontology International.
- Chee, K. H. (2012). For the Aging Multicultural World: Gerontology “Texting.” The Gerontologist.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fellow of the Gerontological Society of America (FGSA), Gerontological Society of America. May 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Achievement Award for Excellence in Service, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. August 2015
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University-San Marcos. August 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Civic Engagement in an Older America Project Senior Scholar Award, Gerontological Society of America. November 2008
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2006 Sociological Spectrum Article of the Year, Mid-South Sociological Association. October 2006
- Ngu, Hee H (Principal), Chang, Joshua (Co-Principal), Chee, Kyong H (Supporting), Milton, John (Supporting), Yan, Yan (Co-Principal). Collaborative Research: SCH: Personalized Watch-based Fall Risk Analysis and Detection with Cross Modal Learning, NSF-CISE, NIH, Federal, $1103754. (Submitted: February 8, 2021, Funded: September 1, 2021 - August 31, 2025). Grant.
- Chee, Kyong H (Principal), Gerhart, Olga S (Co-Principal), Kim, Seoyoun (Co-Principal). Storytelling, Generativity, and Well-Being among Persons Living with Dementia, Texas State University, $17991. (Funded: July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019). Grant.
- Chee, Kyong H (Principal), Johnson, Christopher (Co-Principal). University Lecturers Series, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $4000. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Sen, Keya (Principal), Chee, Kyong (Co-Principal), Mandal, Sujata (Co-Principal), Hwang, Sangchul (Co-Principal). Incontinence Management Program for Older Adults (Regional NSF I-Corps MVP), Texas State Regional I-Corps Site for Entrepreneurship, Texas State University, $4800. (Submitted: September 2022, Funded: December 2022 - March 2023). Grant.
- Sen, Keya (Principal), Chee, Kyong (Co-Principal), Mandal, Sujata (Co-Principal), Hwang, Sangchul (Co-Principal). Incontinence Management Program for Older Adults (Regional NSF I-Corps Mini), Texas State Regional I-Corps Site for Entrepreneurship, Texas State University, $3000. (Submitted: September 2022, Funded: November 2022 - January 2023). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Dementia Care Continuing Education Program Advisory Board
The Price Center
Master of Science in Dementia and Aging Studies (MSDA)
August 15, 2019-Present
Editorial Review Board Member
Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practice
Faculty Senate Liaison