Faculty Profile for Dr. Carmen E Westerberg
Research InterestsHuman memory, sleep, memory consolidation, aging, Alzheimer's disease
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Wofford, N., Ceballos, N., Westerberg, C. E., & Elkins, G. (2022). A brief nap during an acute stressor improves negative affect. Journal of Sleep Research, e13701. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsr.13701
- Westerberg, C., Hawkins, C. A., & Rendon, L. C. (2018). Sleep-dependent reductions in reality-monitoring errors arise from more conservative decision criteria. Learning & Memory, 25(2), 105–108. https://doi.org/10.1101/lm.046342.118
- Batterink, L., Westerberg, C. E., & Paller, K. A. (2017). Vocabulary learning benefits from REM after slow-wave sleep. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 144, 102–113. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nlm.2017.07.001
- Westerberg, C., Florczak, S. M., Weintraub, S., Mesulam, M.-M., Marshall, L., Zee, P. C., & Paller, K. A. (2015). Memory improvement via slow oscillatory stimulation in older adults. Neurobiology of Aging, 36(9), 2577–2586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2015.05.014
- Westerberg, C. E., Mayes, A., Florczak, S. M., Chen, Y., Creery, J., Parrish, T., … Paller, K. A. (2013). Distinct medial temporal contributions to different forms of recognition in patients with amnestic mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease. Neuropsychologia, 51, 2450–2461.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. April 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Research Funding and Sponsored Programs, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. August 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Research Leave Award, Texas State University. 2018 - 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Seminar Award, Office of the President, Texas State University. August 21, 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Valero Award for Excellence, Office of the Provost, Texas State University. January 1, 2015
- Pan, Xi (Principal), Hwang, Sangchul Scott (Co-Principal), Westerberg, Carmen E (Supporting), Zhao, Qiang (Supporting). Exposure to Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) on Cognitive Function in Firefighters in Central Texas, Texas State University, $30000. (Funded: 2023 - 2024). Grant.
- Westerberg, Carmen E. Matthew Pecot Award, McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $16500. (Submitted: February 2021, Funded: May 2021 - April 2022). Grant.
- Westerberg, Carmen E (Principal), Paller, Ken A (Co-Principal), Trujillo, Logan Thomas (Supporting). Does superior sleep physiology contribute to superior memory function? Implications for counteracting forgetting, McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience, Memory and Cognitive Disorders Award, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $300000. (Submitted: September 3, 2019, Funded: February 1, 2020 - January 31, 2023). Grant.
- Westerberg, Carmen E. Improving Analogical Problem Solving Through Sleep, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2017, Funded: January 2018 - August 2019). Grant.
- Hegde Niezgoda, Asha Latha (Principal), Westerberg, Carmen E (Co-Principal), Martinez-Ramos, Gloria P. (Co-Principal), Ahn, Mira (Co-Principal). Effects of indoor lighting interventions on sleep, well-being, and safety in older adults living independently in public housing, Multidisciplinary Team Incentive, Texas State University, $2460. (Funded: July 2016 - Present). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
National Science Foundation
Alliance of Researchers in Aging (ARIA)
May 2022-December 2022
Psychology Department Respondent
International Research Conference for Graduate Students
November 7, 2017-November 7, 2017
San Marcos High School Psychology Club
February 2, 2017-February 2, 2017
Walk to End Alzheimer's Disease