Faculty Profile for Dr. Roque V Mendez
Biography and EducationB.A. (1978) Ph.D. (1985). Psychology. University of Texas at Austin
Fulbright Teaching Fellow. (1986-1987). Mexico. Escuela Libre de Psicologia, Chihuahua, Mexico.
Post Doctoral Fellow (1988-1989). Harvard University
Teaching InterestsSocial Psychology
Research InterestsSocial Psychology
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Mendez, R. V., Gibeaut, E., & Arreola, A. (2022). Moral foundations predict sentiments toward Hispanic immigrants: Hispanics and Caucasians whites share, but also differ in their views about Hispanic immigrants. National Social Science Journal, Special Edition: International Collaboration: A world without borders. 2022, 15–20. Retrieved from https://www.nssa.us/journals.htm
- Bueno, E. H., & Mendez, R. V. (2020). Perceived Competence and Agreeableness Predict Postive Beahviors Toward Mexican Immigrants: Less Acculturated Hispanics are more welcoming of Immigrants. Wiser World with Multiculturalism: Proceedings from the 24th Congress of the International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology. Retrieved from https://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/ iaccp.papers/279.
- Barrera Valdivia, P., Mendez, R. V., Czyzewska, M., & Mendoza-Meraz & Aixchel, G. (2020). Imagenes de la version mexicana de la pureba deempatia emocional de Baron-Cohen. Tecnociencia Chihuahua, 13.
- Bueno, E. H., & Mendez, R. V. (2019). Prejudice towards immigrants: Competences elicit stronger and more favorable sentiments. ACTA DE INVESTIGACIÓN PSICOLÓGICA, 9, 25–35. https://doi.org/DOI:https://doi.org/ 10.22201/fpsi.20074719e.2019.2.261
- Ginsburg, H. J., Mendez, R. V., & Haskerd-Zolnierek, K. B. (2017). Cautionary note about magnitude of decline in neural defects following folic acid fortification in the United States. International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, 1–3. https://doi.org/10.1024/0300-9831/a000422
- Award / Honor Recipient: Bronze Medallion awarded for plenary address given at Universidad Iberoamericana, Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City. September 9, 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Namesake by Bobcat Preview, Texas State University. June 21, 2021 - August 30, 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Excellence in Mentoring Award, Liberal Arts, Texas State University. July 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Award of Honor, Texas State Alumni Association. May 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Everette Sweeny Teaching Award, Faculty Senate. January 2020
- Mendez, Roque (Principal). Academic Specialist (USIA) Visiting Professor to Mexico, Funding Source Not specified. (Funded: 1994). Grant.
- Mendez, Roque (Principal). Academic Specialist (USIA) Visiting Professor to Mexico, Funding Source Not specified. (Funded: 1992). Grant.
- Ginsburg, H. (Principal), Mendez, Roque (Principal). Childhood Injury Prevention Infancy, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, State, $165590. (Submitted: 1992). Grant.
- Mendez, Roque (Principal). High Risk Youth Demonstration Project for San Marcos, Texas, Alcohol, Drug Abuse and Mental Health Administration. Office of Substance Abuse. Department of Health and Human Services, Federal, $1257688. (Submitted: 1992). Grant.
- Ginsburg, H. (Principal), Mendez, Roque (Principal). Childhood Injury Prevention Infancy, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, State, $165590. (Submitted: 1991). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Psychology Graduate Program Committee
September 1, 2021-Present
Faculty meetings and PC meetings
January 15, 2021-Present
Editorial Review Board Member
October 26, 2020-Present
The Monarch Center for Immigrant Research Committee
August 28, 2020-Present
June 17, 2020-Present