Faculty Profile for Dr. Jennifer Forrest
Biography and EducationJennifer Forrest is professor of French at Texas State University. She is the author of Decadent Aesthetics and the Acrobat in Fin-de-Siècle France (Routledge 2019); co-editor of Dead Ringers: The Remake in Theory and Practice (SUNY 2002), the editor of The Legend Returns and Dies Harder Another Day: Essays on Film Series (McFarland 2008), and co-editor of the double-issue of Dix-Neuf (2017) Matter Pools: Fluidity and Containment in French Decadent Literature: Essays in Honour of Robert Ziegler. She is the author of articles on remakes, sequels, and film series. She is also the author of studies on French fin-de-siècle literature and popular mediums, in particular in their relation to the cult and culture of the circus.
Teaching InterestsLiterature: the Fantastic, the Science-Fiction Novel, the Graphic Novel, the Short Story; French Film History, Film Analysis; Civilization
Research InterestsDecadent Literature (France); the Circus in 19th-Century France; French Film; American Film ; Film and Television Remakes, Film Series, and Film Reboots
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Forrest, J. (2021). Cinematic Time Keeper: Bertrand Tavernier and L’Horloger de Saint-Paul. French Forum, 46(1), 103–116.
- Forrest, J. (2021). Re-forming La Maternelle: Social-Cultural Continuity and the Remake. In European Film Remakes (pp. 89–101). Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom: Edinburgh University Press.
- Forrest, J. (2019). Decadent Aesthetics and the Acrobat in Fin-de-Siècle France. London and New York, United Kingdom and United States: Routledge. Retrieved from https://www.routledge.com/Decadent-Aesthetics-and-the-Acrobat-in-French-Fin-de-siecle-1st-Edition/Forrest/p/book/9780367358143
- Forrest, J., & Emery, E. N. (Eds.). (2017). Matter Pools: Fluidity and Containment in French Decadent Literature: Essays in Honour of Robert Ziegler. Dix-Neuf (2nd–3rd ed., Vol. 21). United Kingdom: Taylor and Francis. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/14787318.2017.1386881
- Forrest, J. (Ed.). (2008). The Legend Returns and Dies Harder Another Day: Essays on Film Series. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honorary Professor of International Studies, Center for International Studies Honorary Professors Naming Committee. January 2023 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts, Achievement in Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Liberal Art. 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi National Honor Scholarship Society “Favorite Professor”, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Development Leave, Texas State University. January 2021 - May 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award in Teaching and Golden Apple Award, Texas State University. February 2019 - August 2019
- Forrest, Jennifer. South Central Modern Language Association Travel Stipend, $750. (Funded: 2001). Grant.
- Forrest, Jennifer. Alkek Library Research Grant, $1424. (Funded: 2001). Grant.
- Forrest, Jennifer. Alkek Library Research Grant, $1041. (Funded: 1999). Grant.
- Forrest, Jennifer. Research Enhancement Grant, $8000. (Funded: 1997). Grant.
- Forrest, Jennifer. Research Enhancement Grant, $6000. (Funded: 1994). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
La Série télévisée
French Program Learning Outcomes and Assessments Portfolios, Exit Interviews, and Report
Department Website Committee
Faculty Personnel Committee
French Program Committee