Faculty Profile for Dr. Katie Kapurch
Biography and EducationKatie Kapurch, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of English at Texas State University. As a scholar of the Beatles and other pop culture phenomena, she explores issues of gender, sexuality, and race, especially in texts related to youth.
Research InterestsThe Beatles, Youth Culture, Melodrama, Fairy Tales, Mermaids, Popular Music, Victorian Literature and Culture
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Kapurch, K. M. (2022). Unvaulting “Disney Plus Pop” in 2021: Romance, Melodrama, and Remembering in Taylor Swift’s All Too Well, McCartney’s Lyrics, and The Beatles: Get Back. AMP: American Music Perspectives, 1(2), 159–172. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.5325/ampamermusipers.1.2.0159
- Kapurch, K., Smith, J. M., & Womack, K. (2022, October 19). Rising from the Ashes: Billy Preston’s Victory. Los Angeles Sentinel.
- Kapurch, K. (2021, July 8). Tenacious D Does the “Abbey Road” Medley. CultureSonar. Retrieved from https://www.culturesonar.com/tenacious-d-does-the-abbey-road-medley/
- Kapurch, K. (2020). “The Beatles, Fashion, and Cultural Iconography.” In K. Womack (Ed.), The Beatles in Context (pp. 247–259). Cambridge UP.
- Kapurch, K., & Smith, J. M. (2020). “Blackbird Fly: Paul McCartney’s Legend, Billy Preston’s Gospel, and Lead Belly’s Blues.” Interdisciplinary Literary Studies, 22, 5–30.
- Award / Honor Nominee: Gustave O. Arlt Award, Council of Graduate Schools. January 31, 2018 - December 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. February 1, 2018 - July 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, Department of English, Texas State University. November 1, 2017 - February 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Achievement Award for Scholarly Excellence, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. August 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Excellence Award: Scholarly, Department of English, Texas State University. November 1, 2015
- Kapurch, Katie (Principal). Awards for Faculty at Hispanic-Serving Institutions, National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), Federal, $60000. (Submitted: April 2018, Funded: January 2020 - December 2020). Grant.
- Kapurch, Katie. Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2020, Funded: January 2021 - May 2022). Grant.
- Kapurch, Katie (Principal). Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University. (Submitted: October 2016, Funded: January 2017 - September 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Senior Lecturer Annual Review Committee
Editorial Review Board Member
AMP: American Music Perspectives
Faculty Recognition Day
Therese Kayser Lindsey Literary Series Committee