Faculty Profile for Dr. Denise Gobert
Biography and EducationDr. Gobert has been practicing physical therapy for over 20 years and teaches in the Neuro/ Research track in the Doctoral Physical Therapy Program at the Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. Her clinical practice and research specializes in the care of persons with neurological movement disorders resulting from CVA, vestibular-related pathologies and traumatic brain injury. She received Physical Therapy degree at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, Texas, and her Masters in Exercise Science and Doctorate in Kinesiology at the University of Texas at Austin. She is a Certified Vestibular Rehabilitation Specialist, Board Certified Specialist in Neurologic Physical Therapy and Certified Exercise Expert for Aging Adults. In addition, she is a well published researcher and has held several state and national offices including Chair of the Vestibular Special Interest Group in the Neurology Section in the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Her current research includes vestibulo-oculomotor deficits associated with acquired brain injury such as CVA and traumatic brain injuries. Her work has been well supported by several national funding sources including the American Heart Association, Department of Veteran Affairs and the Department of Defense.
Teaching InterestsResearch Methods
Neuromuscular Movement Systems
Research InterestsBiomechanical Analysis of Human Movement
Rehabilitation Strategies for Neuromuscular Movement Disorders
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Sadeh, S., Hsiao, H.-Y., & Gobert, D. V. N. (2023). Biomechanical and Neuromuscular Control Characteristics of Sit-to-Stand Transfer in Young and Older Adults: A Systematic Review with Implications for Balance Regulation Mechanisms. Journal of Clinical Biomechanics, 109. https://doi.org/CLBI-D-23-00270R1
- McDowell, D. R., Gobert, D. V. N., Jarxombek, T., Koudela, T., McGrath, K., & Raulerson, R. (2020). Balance and Fall Risk Outcome Measures for Patients 65 Years or Older in the Outpatient Physical Therapy Setting: What Are the Current Trends? Journal of Medical Research - K, 20(11, Version 1). https://doi.org/DOI: 10.17406/GJMRA
- Gobert, D. V. N., & McDowell, D. R. (2020). Patient Awareness & Access to Pelvic Floor Dysfunction Physical Therapy: Challenging Trends to Adequate Patient Care. Medical Archives Research Journal, 8(4), 1–13. https://doi.org/National Library of Medicine (PubMed) ID: 101668511
- Gobert, D., Mattingly, H., Wallace, B., Cuthen, H. M., & Fell, D. (2018). Intervention for Vestibular Impairments (Chapter 29). In Lifespan Neurorehabilitation (pp. 918–941). Philadelphia, PA, USA: FA Davis Company. Retrieved from http://davisplus.fadavis.com
- Gobert, D., & Komogortsev, O. (2010). “Oculomotor Behavior Profile: Biometric Indicator of Post-Concussion Recovery.” Brain Injury, 24(March), 115–463. https://doi.org/DOI: 10.3109/02699051003648227
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Scholarship Award 2021, College of Health Professions, Texas State University. August 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Kappa Delta Pi Int. Honor Society in Education, University of Texas at Austin. January 1, 1999 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Scholarship Award 2019, College of Health Professions. August 20, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: TPTA President's Service Excellence Award 2017, Texas Physical Therapy Association. October 27, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: TPTA's Outstanding Poster Award 2017, Texas Physical Therapy Association. October 27, 2017
- Gobert, Denise Valencia Newbur (Co-Principal), Hsiao, Hao-Yuan (Co-Principal). Neuromuscular and Biomechanical Control of Weight Transfer during Gait in Individuals Post-stroke., National Institutes of Health, Federal, $52392.54. (Submitted: November 16, 2021, Funded: August 1, 2022 - July 31, 2024). Grant.
- Gobert, Denise Valencia Newbur (Principal), McDowell, Debra R (Co-Principal). Characterizing the Dosage Response of Persons with Parkinson Disease to HITT Boxing Training, Texas State University, Texas State University, $15800. (Submitted: October 13, 2019, Funded: December 15, 2019 - August 31, 2021). Grant.
- McDowell, Debra R (Co-Principal), Gobert, Denise Valencia Newbur (Principal). Pilot study: Exploring Trunk Stability and Balance in Persons with Neuromuscular Impairments in Response to Instrumented Hippotherapy, Texas Physical Therapy Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $4000. (Funded: November 2, 2016 - November 2, 2017). Grant.
- Gobert, Denise (Principal), Williams, Shannon Hope (Co-Principal). Balance and Gait Program for Persons with Adult Acquired Brain Injury, Texas State Long Term Care Institute, Texas State University-San Marcos, Institutional (Higher Ed), $10000. (Submitted: January 1, 2010, Funded: December 31, 2011). Grant.
- Gobert, Denise (Co-Principal), Silveira, Jessica (Co-Principal). Neuromuscular Trunk and Pelvic Responses in Children with and without Cerebral Palsy to Instrumented Hippotherapy Methods, Texas State University Research Enhancement Program (REP), Texas State University, $11446. (Submitted: October 7, 2022, Funded: January 1, 2023 - 2024). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Historian Committee - Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy
June 15, 2018-June 1, 2020
Texas Physical Therapy Association
October 27, 2016-June 2019
Board of Directors
Power for Parkinson's
October 13, 2022-Present
Texas Evidence-Based Programs Workgroup
January 1, 2022-Present
American Council for Academic Physical Therapy Education
October 1, 2021-Present