Faculty Profile for Dr. Janet Rose Bezner
Biography and EducationDr. Bezner is a Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy at Texas State University. She received her bachelor’s degree in physical therapy at the University of Texas Medical Branch, her master’s degree from Texas Woman’s University, a PhD in health education from the University of Texas, a DPT degree from Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, and she is a National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach. She was Vice President of Education, Governance and Administration at the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) for 9 years. Bezner has practiced in a variety of health care settings, including hospitals, home health, long-term care, and corporate wellness. Bezner’s research has resulted in 10 book chapters, 25 published articles, 7 grants, and numerous conference presentations on health and wellness-related topics. Bezner served on APTA’s Board of Directors prior to joining its staff and is a recipient of the Lucy Blair Service Award and is a Catherine Worthingham Fellow of the APTA. She is an experienced speaker on topics related to health promotion and wellness, leadership, personal development, and strategic planning. Dr. Bezner has been facilitating strategic planning meetings and providing leadership training for non-profit organizations, academic units, and others for over 20 years.
Research InterestsPhysical activity
Behavior change and health coaching
Culture of health
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Stickley, L. A., Bezner, J. R., & Spivey, S. S. (2019). Development and Validation of the Self-Efficacy of Student Physical Therapist Outcomes (SESPTO) Survey. Journal of Physical Therapy Education, 33(4), 325–334. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTE.0000000000000111
- Menge, L. D., Hu, Y., Crixell, S. L., Lloyd, L. K., Bezner, J. R., & Burke, P. J. (2018). Influences on catered event ordering in a university workplace: development and validation of the Understanding Food Ordering survey. American Journal of Health Promotion, October, 1–4. https://doi.org/10.1177/0890117118807217
- Bezner, J. R., Franklin, K., Lloyd, L. K., & Crixell, S. L. (2018). Effect of Group Behavior Change Coaching on Psychosocial Constructs Associated with Physical Activity Among University Employees. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 1–15. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/1612197X.2018.1462232
- Rethorn, Z. D., Bezner, J. R., & Pettitt, C. D. (2022). From Expert to Coach: Health Coaching to Support Behavior Change within Physical Therapist Practice. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, 38(13), 2352–2367. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593985.2021.1987601
- Ingman, M., & Bezner, J. R. (2022). Coaching, Counseling and the Science of Behavior Change. In Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine in Physical Therapy (pp. 31–47). Minneapolis, MN, United States: OPTP. Retrieved from OPTP.com
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence Framework in Academic Physical Therapy Research Recognition, American Council of Academic Physical Therapy Education Research Committee. September 14, 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award Excellence in Service, College of Health Professions. August 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State Alumni Association Teaching Award of Honor, Texas State University Alumni Association. August 21, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Physical Therapy Researcher, Texas Physical Therapy Association. October 25, 2018 - October 25, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Keynote Speaker, Virginia Commonwealth University, College of Allied Health Professions, Department of Physical Therapy. September 7, 2018
- Bezner, Janet Rose (Principal), Lloyd, Lisa Kay (Co-Principal), Swearingen, Carolyn Cook (Co-Principal). Overpowering osteoarthritis: Helping a community walk with ease., Osteoarthritis Action Alliance Walk With Ease Expansion Mini Grants, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $6753. (Submitted: January 20, 2017, Funded: April 1, 2017 - March 31, 2018). Grant.
- Bezner, Janet Rose (Principal), Lloyd, Lisa Kay (Co-Principal), Crixell, Sylvia L (Co-Principal). Enhancing Physical Activity Programming for Employee Wellbeing at Texas State University, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The Osteoarthritis Action Alliance (OAAA), $24830. (Submitted: July 1, 2015, Funded: March 10, 2016 - September 30, 2017). Grant.
- Bezner, Janet (Principal). Worksite Wellness Program Development at Motorola, Motorola, Inc., Private / Foundation / Corporate, $24455. (Submitted: September 1, 2001, Funded: September 1, 2001 - April 30, 2002). Grant.
- Bezner, Janet (Principal). Worksite Wellness Program Development at Motorola, Motorola, Inc., Private / Foundation / Corporate, $46162. (Submitted: July 1, 2000, Funded: July 10, 2000 - May 18, 2001). Grant.
- Bezner, Janet (Co-Principal), Boucher, B. (Co-Principal). The Effects of Myofascial Release Thoracic Techniques on Pulmonary Function Measures, SWT Research Enhancement Grant, Institutional (Higher Ed), $15619. (Submitted: January 1, 2000, Funded: January 14, 2000 - August 31, 2000). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
ERS Group Benefits Advisory Committee
January 1, 2018-Present
Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics Advanced Practice Expanded Standards Committee
February 3, 2022-Present
Conspirare A Company of Voices
WellCats - Employee Wellness Committee
September 1, 2014-Present
Health & Wellness Lunch & Learn Series, Texas State University Professional Development
September 1, 2014-Present