Faculty Profile for Dr. Byron Gao
Biography and EducationByron Gao is an associate professor of computer science at Texas State University. He joined Texas State in 2008, was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Wisconsin in 2007-2008, and received Ph.D. in 2007 and B.Sc. in 2003 from Simon Fraser University. His research spans several related fields of data mining, databases, information retrieval and bioinformatics.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Sotelo Jimenez, R. J., Medishetty, B., & Gao, B. J. (2022). COMPA: A Comparative Retrieval and Analytical Engine for Consumer Products. In IEEE International Conference on Big Data.
- Hui, A., & Gao, J. (2021). When is Nearest Neighbor Meaningful: Sequential Data. In ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM).
- Gao, B. J. (2020). Pattern Exploration as Keyword Search. In IEEE International Conference on Big Data.
- Gao, B. J., & Katrompas, A. (2020). A Preliminary Experimental Analysis on RateMyProfessors. In IEEE International Conference on Big Data.
- Gao, B. J., & Medjo, F. (2019). Statistical Correction of Average Customer Ratings for Product Ranking. In IEEE International Conference on Big Data.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Named by one graduate as a person at Texas State University who made a contribution to their academic career. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Keynote Speech Invitation from ICDS 2019 conference, The Sixth International Conference on Data Science. May 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Named by 2 graduates as a person at Texas State University who made a contribution to their academic career. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Named by one graduate as a person at Texas State University who made a contribution to their academic career. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. 2013
- Fulton, Lawrence V (Principal), Villagran, Melinda Morris (Co-Principal), , Bing Zhou (Co-Principal), Mendez, Francis A (Co-Principal), Ekin, Tahir (Co-Principal), Qasem, Apan Muhammad (Co-Principal), Konur, Dincer (Supporting), Alanis, Emmanuel (Supporting), Zihagh, Fereshteh (Supporting), Dong, Zhijie (Co-Principal), Shen, Xiaoxi (Supporting), De Nadai, Alessandro Stevens (Supporting), Zhu, Ye (Co-Principal), Hewitt, Barbara A (Co-Principal), Valles Molina, Damian (Supporting), White, Alexander (Supporting), Dolezel, Diane M (Supporting), Ioudina, Vera (Supporting), Islam, Tanzima Z (Supporting), Lee, Chul Ho (Supporting), Metsis, Vangelis (Supporting), Moradi, Masoud (Supporting), Gao, Ju (Supporting), Li-Jen, Lester (Supporting), Jones, Dustin (Supporting), Pham, Vung (Supporting), Holt, Melinda (Supporting), Kyung An, Min (Supporting), Islam, ABM (Supporting), Cho, Hyuk (Supporting), Liu, Quigzhoung (Supporting), Liang, Fan (Supporting), Topinka, Joseph Baar (Supporting). The Accelerating Credentials of Purpose and Value for the Texas Innovation Corridor (TIC) Consortium Grant, THECB, State, $1450000. (Submitted: November 2021, Funded: February 2022 - October 2022). Grant.
- Ngu, Anne H. (Principal), Gao, Ju (Co-Principal). REU SITE: Multidisciplinary Research Experiences for Undergraduates in Internet of Things, NSF-CISE, Federal, $323481. (Funded: March 1, 2014 - February 18, 2019). Grant.
- Lu, Yijuan (Principal), Ngu, Anne H. (Co-Principal), Gao, Ju (Co-Principal), Chen, Xiao (Co-Principal), Qasem, Apan Muhammad (Co-Principal). II-NEW: Shared High Performance Data Center, NSF CISE CRI Program, Federal, $375756. (Funded: 2013 - 2019). Grant.
- Ngu, Anne H. (Principal), Gao, Ju (Co-Principal). REU Site: Research Experiences in New Paradigms of Information Retrieval from Diverse Data, NSF-OCI, Federal, $359827. (Funded: March 1, 2011 - February 28, 2014). Grant.
- Metsis, Vangelis (Principal), Ngu, Hee Hiong (Co-Principal), Gao, Ju (Co-Principal), Shi, Hongchi (Co-Principal), Guirguis, Mina S (Co-Principal), Gu, Qijun (Co-Principal). Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN), U.S. Department of Education, Federal, $728150. (Submitted: February 2021, Funded: October 1, 2021 - September 30, 2024). Grant.