Faculty Profile for Dr. Farzan Irani
Biography and EducationI earned my Bachelor's degree in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology at the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences in Mumbai, India. I earned my MS and PhD in Communication Sciences and disorders at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH.
Teaching InterestsStuttering, voice, motor speech disorders, research methods.
Research InterestsStuttering, fluency disorders
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Irani, F., & Rojas, R. (2021). Treatment Outcomes of a Behavioral Stuttering Therapy Program. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica. https://doi.org/10.1159/000519866
- Rojas, R., & Irani, F. (2020). Classifying Disfluencies in Preschool and School Age Spanish-English Bilinguals Who Do Not Stutter: An Exploratory Study. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 1–12. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1044/2019_PERSP-19-00164
- Hendrick, R., Irani, F., Schwarz, A. L., & Azios, M. (2023). Personal factors and the overall variability of stuttering. Perspectives of ASHA Special Interest Groups SIG 4 Fluency and Fluency. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1044/2023_PERSP-22-00178
- Rojas, R., Irani, F., Gusewski, S., & Camacho, N. (2023). A cross-sectional investigation of disfluencies in typically developing Spanish-English bilingual children. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 77, 1–10. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfludis.2023.105988
- Irani, F., Mock, J. R., Myers, J. C., Johnson, J. L., & Golob, E. J. (2023). A novel non-word speech preparation task to increase stuttering frequency in experimental settings for longitudinal research. Journal of Communication Disorders, 105(106353), 1–11. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcomdis.2023.106353
- Award / Honor Recipient: ASHA ACE Award, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Research Mentoring-Pair Travel Award, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. November 15, 2021 - February 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Health Professions, Texas State University. August 21, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Teaching. August 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Health Professions Faculty Excellence Award in Teaching at the Associate Professor level, College of Health Professions. January 2016
- Fleming, Valarie B (Principal), Domsch, Celeste A (Co-Principal), Wendel, Renee M (Supporting), Irani, Farzan (Co-Principal). Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students in Communication Disorders, Health Resources and Services Administration, Federal, $1576750. (Submitted: March 3, 2020, Funded: July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2025). Grant.
- Rojas, Raul (Co-Principal), Irani, Farzan (Co-Principal). Characterizing Speech Disfluencies in Bilingual (Spanish-English) Children, American Speech Language Hearing Association Multicultural Activities Grant, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $15000. (Funded: August 2019 - November 2020). Grant.
- Golob, Edward (Principal), Mock, Jeffery (Co-Principal), Robbins, Kay (Co-Principal), Irani, Farzan (Co-Principal), Jones, Mark (Other). Development of brain-computer interface methods to influence brain dynamics in stuttering, NIH/NIDCD, Federal, $387172. (Submitted: July 17, 2017, Funded: March 2, 2018 - March 2, 2020). Grant.
- Irani, Farzan (Principal), Smith, Kenneth Scott (Co-Principal), Lawrence, Grayson B. Therapeutic and Training Applications of Virtual Reality for Speech-related Social Anxiety in Stuttering, Texas State University, $27962. (Funded: May 16, 2022 - August 31, 2024). Grant.
- Irani, Farzan. Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, University Lecturers Committee, Texas State University, $1200.00. (Funded: March 2017 - December 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Journal of Communication Disorders
October 19, 2023-Present
Journal of Fluency Disorders
September 4, 2023-Present
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Fluency Disorders
December 28, 2022-Present
Search Committee, CHP Dean
Faculty Search Committee, Physical Therapy