Faculty Profile for Dale C Blasingame
Biography and EducationDale Blasingame is an associate professor of practice in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas, where he received the 2017 Presidential Excellence Award for Teaching and the 2023 Presidential Excellence Award for Service. Blasingame is a part of the Digital Media Innovation faculty, and he teaches courses that introduce students to different aspects of how technology is changing journalism, media and marketing. Some of his classes include Advanced Social Media and Analytics, Drone Storytelling, Web Design and Publishing, and Fundamentals of Digital and Online Media.
Before transitioning to Texas State, Blasingame was a television news producer. He spent nine years at WOAI-TV in San Antonio, where he won two Lone Star Emmy awards and was nominated for a third. Before that, he was a news anchor and sports reporter for KTSA-AM in San Antonio. In addition to his duties at Texas State, he is also a digital content consultant with Leadhub, a marketing agency he helped start in San Antonio. Blasingame is a member of the Online News Association, Society of Professional Journalists and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.
In his free time, Blasingame is an avid hiker and traveler. In 2014, he visited all 95 state parks in Texas in one year. He’s now more than halfway through his mission to visit all 400+ national park properties. Dale's dog, Lucy, joins him on trips and loves to hike and climb rocks. Blasingame and Lucy were included on Texas Highways Magazine's list of Extraordinary Texans for 2016, and his stories have been featured on TV, radio, digital and in magazines. He’s been able to marry his passions of technology and our parks by creating a course called Mobile Storytelling in the Park, in conjunction with Texas Parks and Wildlife, where students produce social video content at state parks. In 2017, Blasingame received a grant to develop the School of Journalism and Mass Communication’s first Study in America course, where he took students to do similar work in national parks. The program has taken students to Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Zion and Great Sand Dunes national parks, to name a few.
Blasingame is a member of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Foundation, National Park Foundation, National Parks Conservation Association and The Trail Foundation. He’s also a licensed commercial drone pilot and a member of the animal care team at Central Texas Pig Rescue.
Research InterestsSocial media, misinformation
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Blasingame, D. C. (2021). SJMC Students Take On SXSW Online. Retrieved from https://sjmcnews.wordpress.com/2021/03/24/sjmc-students-take-on-sxsw-online/
- Blasingame, D. C. (2020, November 29). UNIQUE CONTRIBUTION: TXST’s EPDC Team Works With NASA’s STEM@Home Initiative. Retrieved from https://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/news/unique-contribution
- Blasingame, D. C. (n.d.). The Truth About Fake News. San Marcos, Texas: Texas State University Common Experience. Retrieved from https://www.txstate.edu/commonexperience/stories/blog/2020-03-30-truth-about-fake-news.html
- Blasingame, D. C. (2020). Engagement Metrics That Matter. In The Golden Age of Data: Media Analytics in Study & Practice (pp. 160–181). United States: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group. Retrieved from https://digital.library.txstate.edu/handle/10877/10319
- Blasingame, D. C. (2017). From Online to Outside: An Experiment in Teaching Digital Skills at a State Park. Spark, 2(2), 123–127. Retrieved from https://sparkjournal.arts.ac.uk/index.php/spark/article/view/56/99
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Award of Honor, Alumni Association. 2020
- Award / Honor Nominee: Faculty Member of the Year, Black Student Alliance. April 6, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Service, Texas State University. February 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Excellence Award for Teaching, Texas State University. June 2017
- Award / Honor Nominee: Journalism and Mass Communication Teacher of the Year, AEJMC/Scripps Howard. November 1, 2020
- Blasingame, Dale C. Teaching and Learning Technology Innovation Grant, Technology Innovation Office, Texas State University, $2200. (Funded: July 1, 2020). Grant.
- Blasingame, Dale C (Co-Principal). Relationship between mercury and selenium concentrations in Texas offshore and bay fishes: risk assessment and health education, Texas Sea Grant, State, $190902. (Funded: February 2022 - January 2024). Grant.
- Blasingame, Dale C, Fox, Kymberly J. Study in America Program Development Grant, Office of Distance and Extended Learning, Texas State University, $3000. (Funded: July 6, 2016). Grant.
- Blasingame, Dale C. Service-Learning Excellence Program Mini-Grant, Service-Learning Excellence Program, Texas State University, $500. (Funded: December 7, 2021). Grant.
- Blasingame, Dale C. Service-Learning Excellence Program Mini-Grant, Service-Learning Excellence Program, Texas State University, $500. (Funded: May 30, 2021). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
University Marketing Advisory Committee
September 8, 2021-Present
Faculty Senate Representative
Alumni Association Board of Directors
June 17, 2020-Present
August 26, 2021-May 2023
Presidential Excellence Award in Teaching Selection Committee
February 19, 2019-May 2023
SXSW Content Team
January 25, 2022-March 20, 2022