Faculty Profile for Carolyn Kilday
Biography and EducationCarolyn Kilday is a graphic designer, art director and illustrator with over thirty years of professional practice experience. She has worked for clients in multiple markets including retail, medical and technology. She concepted and developed ad campaigns for clients such as Melvin Simon Malls, Motorola and Schlotsky’s. She designed collateral and identity for St David’s Hospital, Prucare, Citrix, Motorola and Dell Computer. She developed illustrations for clients such as The Texas Department of Agriculture. Carolyn has experience in UI/UX as she developed personas, interviewed users and from this information, designed onscreen interfaces for Polycom, a global video conferencing company.
She has taught at Texas State University for eleven years as a full-time lecturer. Carolyn led the first communication design study abroad program, held in Florence, Italy in the summers of 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Most recently she has combined her love for design, photography and Italy into a book about artisans working by hand with a project called “Fatto a Mano” or Made by Hand in Assisi. She completed this project as an artist in residence at Studio Arte Ginestrelle in Assisi in the summer of 2016. This book design was exhibited in Assisi and Florence Italy in 2016 and 2017.
In the classroom, Carolyn likes to create an atmosphere of hard work, fun and collaboration in order to draw the best creative results from all of her students.
Teaching InterestsCarolyn Kilday’s focus in teaching is introducing students to design foundations, especially the practice of conceptual strategies and design thinking. She is the Communication Design department mentor for the ARTC Conceptual Strategies course. She also has a passion for branding, design history and design culture.
Carolyn’s teaching is informed and enhanced by her over thirty year professional practice experience in trademark design, branding, advertising design, illustration and human centered interface design.
Research InterestsCarolyn’s research interests include design thinking and design entrepreneurship.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Coexistencia. Little Gallery. July 2019 Artists: Group (International)
- Never Lost Again Book Cover Design. Never Lost Again Book Cover Design. San Francisco, California. Private. May 2017 - August 2017.
- Fatto a Mano.
Accademia delle Arti del Disegno.
- Accademia delle Arti del Disegno.
- Fatto a Mano.
International Contemporary Art Exhibition.
December 2016 - January 2017
- December 2016 - January 2017 The Art Gallery Le Logge.
- Arte Studio Ginestrelle, Assisi, Italy, Arte Studio Ginestrelle, Assisi, Italy. Designer, Photographer, Writer. August 7, 2016 - August 13, 2016.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Artist Residency in Seville, Spain, Airgentum. 2018 - June 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Residency at Arte Studio Ginestrelle, Assisi. Italy, Arte Studio Ginestrelle, Assisi. Italy. August 7, 2016 - August 13, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: GOLD Austin Advertising Award Logo and Paper System for Cake Affairs. 1997
- Award / Honor Recipient: GOLD Austin Advertising Award SicolaMartin Holiday Card. 1997
- Award / Honor Recipient: BEST IN SHOW Austin Addy Awards SicolaMartin Holiday Card. 1996
Selected Service Activities
Student Organization of Illustrators
August 2018-May 2019
January 2019-December 2019
Competitions Committee / Top ComDes Exhibit Committee
March 2019-October 2019
Graphic Design, Illustration Donation
Competitions Committee with MiHuyn Kim
August 2018-December 2018