Faculty Profile for Cheri DeVol
Biography and EducationCheri Prough DeVol is an American scenic and lighting designer who employs theatrical forms to synthesize her passion for music, storytelling, truth, and beauty. Inspired by both physical and metaphorical action in the source material, she creates sculptural forms that evoke emotion and provoke movement and rhythms that allow the story to resonate within the performance space. Her scenic designs celebrate negative space, while her lighting designs infuse that space with buoyant energy. Her work has been produced at regional theatres and in colleges and universities throughout the United States.
Professor DeVol is the Head of Design, Technology, and Management in the Department of Theatre and Dance.
She holds an MFA in Theatrical Design from the University of Texas at Austin.
Teaching InterestsScenic and Lighting Design, Collaboration, Digital Rendering, Drafting
Research InterestsScenicm, Lighting, and Projection Design for live events, Material Culture
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Scenic Designer, Glengarry Glenn Ross.
July 2019 - September 2019.
- Beck Center for the Arts. September 13, 2019 - October 6, 2019 Lakewood, Ohio.
- Reviewed by: Bob Abelman.
- Reviewed by: Mark Horning.
- Scenic Designer, All Shook Up.
January 2, 2018 - July 2018.
- Zilker Theatre Productions. July 5, 2018 - August 18, 2018 Zilker Hillside Theatre, Austin, TX.
- Scenic, Lighting, and Projection Designer, How I Learned What I Learned.
June 2022 - September 2022.
- Black and Latino Playwrights Celebration. September 8, 2022 - September 23, 2022 TXST Evans Auditorium, San Marcos, TX.
- Reviewed by: Michael Barnes.
- Scenic Designer, Something Rotten.
March 2022 - July 2022.
- Beck Center for the Arts. July 10, 2022 - August 9, 2022 Lakewood, Ohio.
- Lighting Designer, States and Waves.
September 2021 - February 2022.
- Merge Reframed. February 24, 2022 - February 26, 2022 Patti Strickel Harrison Streamed Production, San Marcos, TX.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Scholarly and Creative Activity, Texas State University. August 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Cleveland Critics Circle, Best Scenic Design for Broadway Bound, Cleveland Critics Circle. 2021 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best of Cleveland Theatre, Best Scenic Design for Glengarry Glenn Ross, The Cleveland Jewish News. 2019 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Teaching, College of Fine Arts, Texas State University. August 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Scholarly/Creative Activity, College of Fine Arts, Texas State University. August 2016
- DeVol, Cheri Prough. 2013 Hearst Grant. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- DeVol, Cheri Prough (Supporting). Robert L.B. Tobin Director-Designer Prize, Opera America, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $2000. (Submitted: October 2020, Funded: January 2021 - May 2022). Grant.
- Flores, Lorin (Co-Principal), DeVol, Cheri Prough (Co-Principal). Online Resource Grant for the Alexander Street Performance Design Archive, Texas State University, $27500. (Submitted: February 2018). Grant.