Faculty Profile for Christa J Oliver
Biography and EducationChrista Oliver is an educator, activist, dancer, choreographer, and an Assistant Professor of Practice in the Department of Theatre and Dance at Texas State University. She received a Professional Diploma in Dance Studies and a Master of the Arts degree in Dance Performance from Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance. She is also a 2019 and 2021 Mellon Fellow in the School of Theater and Performance Research at Harvard University.
Christa has worked with Donald McKayle, Valerie Preston-Dunlop, Rafael Bonachela, Donald Byrd, Rennie Harris, Lula Washington, Victor Quijada, Christopher Huggins, Willi Dorner, Miguel Periera, Robin Lewis, Dominique Kelly, and Gary Lambert. She has danced professionally in Amsterdam, Austria, England, France, Germany, Italy, Kosovo, and Mexico. She was the dance captain and soloist with the national tour of The Color Purple and was a dancer in the films Avatar and Crazy on the Outside.
Contact Christa at: email@example.com
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Choreographer (Semilla Fest), Here Comes the Rain.
June 14, 2021 - June 26, 2021.
- Semilla Fest. June 25, 2021 - June 26, 2021 City of San Marcos Outdoor Plaza Stage, San Marcos, TX.
- Choreographer, If We All Rise Up.
November 2020 - April 25, 2021.
- Through a Lens. November 2020 - April 2021 Patti Strickel Harrison Theatre, Texas State University.
- Featured artist, Aprajita-The Resilient Artist.
April 16, 2021 - April 18, 2021.
- Aprajita-The Resilient Artist. April 16, 2021 - April 18, 2021 The Nehru Centre London, London, England.
- Oliver, C. J. (2020). Posture of the Heart. Dancer-Citizen, (11). Retrieved from http://dancercitizen.org/issue-11/christa-oliver/
- Choreographer, Posture of the Heart.
March 2019 - February 2020.
- March 2019 PATTI STRICKEL HARRISON THEATRE, TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY.
- The Mellon School for Theater and Performance Research at Harvard University. July 2019 FARKAS HALL (HARVARD UNIVERSITY), Cambridge, MA.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State Inclusive Excellence Showcase-Best In Show 2021, Institutional Inclusive Excellence. October 18, 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Liberate Artists Forward Movement Educator Award. August 2020
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative. October 2019 - February 2020
Selected Service Activities
Dance Studies Association Dismantling White Supremacy Culture in Dance Studies Tenure and Promotion Working Group
Mental Health and Wellness Committee
Chair Search Committee
Assistant Professor of Dance (Faculty) Search Committee
April 15, 2021-June 2021
DAY OF DANCE AT TEXAS STATE UNIVERISTY
April 22, 2019