Faculty Profile for Michelle E Nance
Biography and EducationMichelle Nance, Professor and Director of Dance at Texas State University, has enjoyed many years of devising dance works collaboratively with colleagues and students; as well as performing in the U.S. and abroad. Michelle has studied and taught the technique of Erick Hawkins extensively, and served as the Assistant School Director for the Erick Hawkins School of Dance in the mid-1990s. She also enjoys working in dance improvisation, site-specific dance, somatic practices, and collaborations in screendance. She has been teaching at Texas State University since 2003, and holds a MFA from the University of Colorado-Boulder.
Teaching Interestsdance appreciation, dance composition/choreography, improvisation, modern technique, world dance, dance history/philosophy
Research Interestsdance advocacy, aesthetics, somatics practices, world dance
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- director/choreographer, Holding Pattern.
August 2020 - Present.
- A Virtual Homecoming - Opening Door Dance Theatre. October 15, 2020 - October 17, 2020 Texas State University, online streaming.
- LiveSTREAM in Motion. March 1, 2021 - March 2, 2021 Patti Strickel Harrison Theatre, San Marcos, TX.
- dancer, WECreate Spaces: In Betweeness.
September 2019 - Present.
- Opening Door Dance Theatre presents Verities. October 17, 2019 - October 19, 2019 Evans Auditiorium, San Marcos,TX.
- 3rd edition Muestra Video Arte Farenza. May 20, 2021 - May 30, 2021 Teatro Jorge Elicer Gaitan, Bogota, Columbia.
- 3rd edition Muestra Video Arte Farenza. July 2021 Santiago de Cuba.
- Denver Film's Premiere Circle Members. June 2, 2021 Denver, CO.
- dancer, WECreate Spaces: Limerick.
September 2019 - Present.
- 6th edition of IMARP (Mostra Internacional de Dance Imagens Em Movimento). December 13, 2021 - December 18, 2021 Brazil.
- Tokyo Documentary Film Festival. December 11, 2021 - December 17, 2021 Japan.
- COCO Dance Festival. October 30, 2021 - October 31, 2021 Trinidad and Tobago.
- Sans Souci Festival of Dance Cinema. September 4, 2021 - September 6, 2021 Museum of Boulder, Boulder, CO.
- FilmFest by Rogue Dancer, Digital Exhibition. August 20, 2021 - September 15, 2021 North Carolina.
- Urban Visions_Beyond the Ideal City Festival. April 22, 2021 - April 25, 2021 Bologna, Italy.
- dancer, Scenarios.
September 25, 2021.
- Dancing on the Edge of Cinema. September 23, 2021 - September 24, 2021 University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO.
- performer, WECreate Spaces Series.
July 30, 2021.
- XIV Festival Internacional de Danza Contemporánea. July 30, 2021 Lila López- San Luis Potosi, MX.
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, Texas State University. October 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Innovation in Screendance, Jeju Drone Film Festival, Republic of Korea. September 30, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University. October 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Everette Swinney Faculty Senate Excellence in Teaching Award, Texas State University. October 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dance Magazine's January Video of the Month for "WECreate Spaces-In Betweeness", Dance Magazine. January 2020
- Nance, Michelle E. Why Representation Matters: Screendance and Accessibility, University Lecturers Program, Texas State University, $2000. (Submitted: October 2021, Funded: January 2022 - May 2022). Grant.
- Nance, Michelle E (Principal). Student Travel to the American College Dance Festival - FY 21, Student Service Fees, Texas State University, $4700. (Submitted: January 15, 2020, Funded: September 1, 2020 - May 15, 2021). Grant.
- Nance, Michelle E, Baer, Ana Carrillo (Co-Principal). Why Representation Matters in Screendance, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Texas State University, $600. (Funded: January 1, 2020 - May 2020). Grant.
- Nance, Michelle E. Student Travel to the American College Dance Festival - FY 19, Student Service Fees, Texas State University, $5400. (Submitted: January 31, 2018, Funded: September 2018 - April 2019). Grant.
- Nance, Michelle (Principal). Student Travel to the American College Dance Festival - FY 18, Student Service Fees, Texas State University, $5400. (Submitted: January 20, 2017, Funded: September 10, 2017 - March 30, 2018). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
San Souci International Festival of Dance Cinema
University Performing Arts Committee
MFA Planning and Investigation Committee
January 1, 2019-Present
American College Dance Festival and Conference