Faculty Profile for Dr. Rebekah L Fox
Biography and EducationPh.D. Purdue University, Communication
M.A. University of Arkansas, Communication
B.A. University of Arkansas, Communication
*Health Services Research and Development Associated Post-Doctoral Fellow Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana
Teaching InterestsRhetorical Methods, Rhetorical Criticism, Freedom of Speech and Extremism, Organizational Rhetoric, Persuasion, Environmental Communication
Research InterestsDr. Fox's research falls into three categories; 1) organizational rhetoric, with a focus on power, control and learning in organizations, 2) health communication with a focus on the U.S. nursing shortage and nursing work, and 3) the rhetoric of social movements, with foci in environmental rhetoric, freedom of expression, and political communication.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Dewberry, D. R., Burnette, A. E., Fox, R. L., & Arneson, P. (2018). Teaching free speech across the communication studies curriculum. First Amendment Studies. https://doi.org/10.1080/21689725.2018.1500930
- Burnette, A. E., & Fox, R. L. (2022). If it was never about the cake, what was it about? How members of the public frame the Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission Supreme Court ruling. In Equal protection vs. religious freedom: Clashing American rights (pp. 329–356). New York, USA: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Medeiros, B., Burnette, A. E., Fox, R. L., & Dewberry, D. R. (2022). The politicization of protests and protection: The major First Amendment issues during COVID-19 pandemic. In Public communication in the time of COVID-19 (pp. 55–80). Lanham, MD, USA: Lexington Books.
- Fox, R. L., & Frye, J. (2022). Pivoting in the time of covid-19: An in-depth case study at the nexus of food insecurity, resilience, system re-organizing, and caring for the community. In Food Systems Communication Amid Compounding Crises: Power, Resistance, and Change. Lausanne: Frontiers Media SA. https://doi.org/10.3389/978-2-83250-480-2
- Fox, R. L., Heather Provencio, Evans, A., Belozer, J., Caballero, R., & Bruington, K. (2022). Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Water Drop Injury Incident Within an Incident FLA. Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center. Retrieved from https://www.wildfirelessons.net/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=61b7e03d-a281-a388-c755-a1fc78a1ccce&forceDialog=0
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award of Distinction in Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Fine Arts and Communication, Texas State University. 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean's Seminar: Rhetoric and Resilience: Learning from Unintended Outcomes and the Vital Role of Narrative, Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communication-John Fleming. October 30, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Service, Texas State University. June 4, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Co-Search Research Start-Up Weekend, 2nd Place Winner, Texas State University College of Fine Arts and Communication. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Service, Department of Communication Studies. 2018
- Ashford-Hanserd, Shetay Nicole (Principal), Sarmiento, Eric Ryan (Co-Principal), Rayburn, Steven W (Co-Principal), Myles, Colleen Crystal (Co-Principal), Davio, Rebecca Lynn (Supporting), Fox, Rebekah L (Supporting), Guajardo, Miguel (Supporting), Valencia, Louie Dean (Supporting), Valle, Rosina Ruiz (Supporting). #ReclaimDunbar: A community needs assessment for the Dunbar arts, cultural and innovation district, Multidisciplinary Team Formation (MTI) Grant, Texas State University, Texas State University, $1000. (Funded: July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019). Grant.
- Fox, Rebekah L (Principal), Roundtree, Aimee Kendall (Supporting). Communicating about Wildfire in the WUI for Public Safety and a Healthy Urban Forest, Austin Community Foundation, Other, $25000. (Funded: 2016 - 2018). Grant.
- Fox, Rebekah L. Human Dimensions of Safety and Wildfire Management, USDA, Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station, Federal, $15000. (Funded: 2027). Grant.
- Farris, Kristen Nacole LeBlanc (Supporting), Fox, Rebekah L (Principal), Roundtree, Aimee Kendall (Co-Principal). Bridging the Classroom and the Clinic: Communication Skills Training for Certified Nursing Assistants, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Fox, Rebekah L. Listening for Resilience: Expert Fire Managers Share Crucial Experience Summer, Research Enhancement Program (REP) Grant, Texas State University, $8000. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
First Year Experience Subcommittee
Reviewer / Referee
Southern States Communication Association-Theodore Clevenger Undergraduate Honors Conference
Reviewer / Referee
Management Communication Quarterly
Steering Committee Member, Learning From Unintended Outcomes, National Aviation and Fire Resource Center, United States Forest Service
Editorial Review Board Member
Texas Speech Communication Journal