Faculty Profile for Dr. Carla J Heffner
Biography and EducationDr. Heffner was hired at Texas State in 2003 as Assistant Athletic Trainer with the Texas State Athletic Department and a lecturer in the HHP department. In 2013, Dr. Heffner became a full-time senior lecturer and Clinical Education Coordinator in the Professional Program in Athletic Training. In 2020 Dr. Heffner was appointed to the graduate faculty of the Professional Master's Program in Athletic Training. She also assumed the role of Clinical Education Coordinator for the Master's Program in addition to her duties as the Clinical Coordinator of the Undergraduate Athletic Training Program. Dr. Heffner successfully completed her Doctorate of Education in Health Professions degree from A.T. Still University in 2020.
Teaching InterestsEmergency care/immediate care of injuries and illnesses.
Research InterestsMental health literacy, mental health education.
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Education Service Award, Texas State College of Education. September 2023
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Education Service Award, Texas State College of Education. September 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Frank Medina Award, Southwest Athletic Trainers' Association. February 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Region VIII Spotlight Recipient, Texas State Athletic Trainers' Association. June 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: BOKO Annual Program of the Year, Texas State University. 2016
Selected Service Activities
HHP Alumni Committee
Assistant/Associate Clinical Professor in Athletic Training Search Committee
HHP Travel Committee
September 1, 2018-Present
SWATA Competency Workshop Committee
Texas State Athletic Training Alumni Facebook Page