Faculty Profile for Dr. Maneka Deanna Brooks
Dr. Maneka Deanna Brooks
Associate Professor — College of Education
Associate Professor — Curriculum And Instruction
phone: (512) 245-7751
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Frankel, K. K., Brooks, M. D., & Learned, J. (2021). A meta-synthesis of qualitative research on reading intervention classes in secondary schools. Teachers College Record, 123(8), 31–58. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1177/01614681211048624
- Bertrand, M., Brooks, M. D., & Dominguez, A. D. (2020). Challenging adultism: Centering youth as educational decision makers. Urban Education. https://doi.org/10.1177/0042085920959135
- Brooks, M. D. (2019). A mother’s advocacy: Lessons for educators of long-term EL students. In H. A. Linville & J. Whiting (Eds.), Advocacy in English Language Teaching and Learning (pp. 175–189). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Brooks, M. D. (2019). Transforming literacy education for long-term English learners: Recognizing brilliance in the undervalued. New York, NY: Routledge/Taylor & Francis. Retrieved from https://www.routledge.com/Transforming-Literacy-Education-for-Long-Term-English-Learners-Recognizing/Brooks/p/book/9781138558113
- Brooks, M. D. (2018). Pushing past myths: Instructional design for “long-term English learners". TESOL Quarterly [Invited Teaching Issues], 52(1), 221–233. https://doi.org/10.1002/tesq.435
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative, Texas State University. February 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award, Alpha Chi Honor Society. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative, Texas State University. February 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Recognition for Service, Board of Trustees and San Marcos Consolidated ISD. December 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Teaching, College of Education. 2016
- O'Malley, M (Principal), Coryell, Joellen E, Brooks, M (Co-Principal), Rocha, P (Co-Principal), McGough, J (Co-Principal). Strengthening the Texas Teacher Education Pipeline (TXST NEXT STTEP), The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, State, $50000. (Funded: July 2022 - October 2022). Grant.
- Brooks, Maneka Deanna. TWHE Development Grant, Texas Women in Higher Education, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $500. (Submitted: February 2016, Funded: March 2016 - April 2016). Grant.
- Brooks, Maneka Deanna. Selecting texts for long-term English learners (LTELs): An investigation of biology teachers' text selection practices, Texas State University, Research Enhancement Program, $4080. (Submitted: October 2014, Funded: January 2015 - May 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Literacy Research: Theory, Method, and Practice
Community Academic Tutor Program
Search Committee for College of Science and Engineering Dean
Literacy Research Association's STAR (Scholars of Color Transitioning into Academic Research institutions) Mentoring Program
Advisory Board Member
CAST Teach High School