Faculty Profile for Dr. Howard Earl Williams
Dr. Howard Earl Williams
Lecturer — School of Criminal Justice & Criminology
phone: (512) 245-4906
Biography and EducationBefore becoming a lecturer in the School of Justice at Texas State University, Dr. Williams was a police officer with 36 years of service. He served 25 years with the Austin Police Department, then served 11 years as Chief of Police in San Marcos before retiring in August, 2014.
Teaching InterestsCriminal Justice Administration
Research InterestsArrest-Related Deaths
TASER Electronic Control Devices
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Williams, H. E., Oriola, T. B., & Reinhard, D. J. (2022). Fatal officer involved shootings following the use of TASER conducted energy weapons. The Police Journal: Theory, Practice and Principles, 95(4), 713–733.
- Williams, H. E. (n.d.). Weapon confusion: TASER CEWs, firearms, and human error theory. Criminal Justice Review.
- Kroll, M. W., Brave, M. A., Hall, S. L., Kroll, R. M., & Williams, H. E. (2022). Pneumatic impedance of spit socks and N95 masks: The applicability to death investigation. American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology, 43(1), 7–10.
- Kroll, M. W., Melinek, J., Martin, J. A., Brave, M. A., & Williams, H. E. (2022). Confusion between firearms and electrical weapons as a factor in police shootings. Forensic Science, Medicine and Pathology, 18(3), 280–287.
- Kroll, M. W., Ross, D. L., Brave, M. A., & Williams, H. E. (2021). Police shootings after electrical weapon seizure: Homicide or suicide‑by‑cop. International Journal of Legal Medicine, 135(6), 2547–2554.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Professor of the Month, Texas State Interfrternity Council. December 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi National College Honor Scholarship Society Favorite Professor. April 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi National College Honor Scholarship Society Favorite Professor. April 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi National College Honor Scholarship Society Favorite Professor. November 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence, Texas State University. August 2017
Selected Service Activities
Occupational Health and Safety Committee
Young Conservatives of Texas
Non-tenure Line Faculty Committee, Texas State University
Executive Masters Degree Program