Faculty Profile for Dr. Sandra Elaine Duke
Biography and EducationSandra Duke received her PhD in Family and Consumer Sciences Education from Texas Tech University with a minor in Cross-Cultural Studies. During her master’s and doctoral work, she had a ten-year career with Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service as a county extension agent and regional program manager for Better Living for Texans (Food Stamp Nutrition Education). Other professional endeavors include secondary classroom experience in Family and Consumer Sciences as well as corporate and entrepreneurial experience.
Teaching InterestsTeacher preparation and methods and foundational family and consumer sciences integration.
Research InterestsMobile Learning, Educational Effectiveness, Social Capital, Teacher Preparation and Retention
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Godfrey, R. V., & Duke, S. E. (2015). Global Perspectives on Mobile Learning in Home Economics/ Family and Consumer Sciences. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 44(2), 172–183. https://doi.org/10.1111/fcsr.12134
- Duke, S. E., & Godfrey, R. V. (2014). Leadership in mobile technology: An opportunity for family and consumer sciences teacher educators. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 106(3), 36–40.
- Godfrey, R. V., & Duke, S. E. (2012). Home Economics and Mobile Learning: Reaching the Unreachable. In Global Sustainable Development: A Challenge or Consumer Citizens (e-book) (p. Available at www.educationforsustainabledevelopment.org). Bonn, Germany: International Federation for Home Economics.
- Rambo, P. K., Thompson, L. D., & Duke, S. E. (2012). Food Science. Lubbock, Texas, United States: Curriculum Center for Family and Consumer Sciences. Retrieved from http://www.ccfcs.org/
- Award / Honor Recipient: Leader of the Year, American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences - Texas Affiliate. April 12, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2017 College Award for Excellence, College of Applied Arts. August 25, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Delta Pi. December 2015
Selected Service Activities
Non-tenure Line Faculty Committee
Lockhart ISD Education and Training Advisory Board
September 1, 2021-Present
Texas FCS Alliance
June 1, 2021-Present
Texas Family, Community & Career Leaders of America (FCCLA) Board of Directors
September 1, 2020-Present
Honor Code Council
February 5, 2020-Present